I HATE LAMINATED DOUGH. but I love it so much

Reaction score
I’ve made croissants probably 15x and those little %*@#?!#* still aren’t right. Crying in my butter puddles over here.

They are flaky, but do not have good honeycomb. I can keep my butter block in until I roll, but then it all goes to the red-hot place.

Any tips for me? I’ll take recipes, good online tutorials/classes, anything. Currently using Colette Christian’s recipe and tutorial off Craftsy.

I want to get them right SO badly, but it’s so much work to be so continually disappointed.

Reaction score
Photos for reference
DADCBFEA-90E5-4226-8374-C083AF222C1D.jpeg

Attachments

• 5DAB619C-E9D0-4A94-9821-847464C21189.jpeg
    5DAB619C-E9D0-4A94-9821-847464C21189.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
I've never made croissants, but have practiced puff pastry quite a bit. I know @Norcalbaker59 has a whole slew of advice to give regarding croissants and lamination in general, but until she can give a response, here are some of the resources I've seen her recommend. These are all great detailed tutorials on croissant-making and lamination, and the recipes themselves are all great too I'm sure. I'm not familiar with the Craftsy tutorial so I can't say how they compare to it, but take a look and see if they teach you anything new or different.

Weekend Bakery:
Croissant recipe and in-depth walkthrough
Croissant FAQ
Video

Buttermilk Pantry

I know ChefSteps also has a croissant tutorial and they usually also have great material, but unfortunately you need a subscription to access it.

Reaction score
I’ve made croissants probably 15x and those little %*@#?!#* still aren’t right. Crying in my butter puddles over here.

They are flaky, but do not have good honeycomb. I can keep my butter block in until I roll, but then it all goes to the red-hot place.

Any tips for me? I’ll take recipes, good online tutorials/classes, anything. Currently using Colette Christian’s recipe and tutorial off Craftsy.

I want to get them right SO badly, but it’s so much work to be so continually disappointed.

Colette’s recipe lacks from start to finish.

Buttermilk Party and Weekend Bakery are the two blogs that will teach you how to produce a decent croissant at home.

Use Kerrygold unsalted butter. It is the most pliable when cold.

Reaction score

Avoid anything where someone puts their name on it, like joe soap's croissant recipe.
Those people are only interested in self promotion.

You will be way ahead if you can source fresh cake yeast, without fresh yeast I just don't bother.

Ask a Question