I need a review for these carrot cake adjustments

Reaction score
Hello, good day everyone
I am a big fan of carrot cake but I always bake it feeling worried about its dense calorie content/unhealthy ingredients.
I want to ask if its okay to substitute plain whole fat yogurt for vegetable oil as so ( 1 cup oil= 3/4 cup plain yogurt)
Most people suggest greek yogurt but I cannot afford it
Anyways the recipe as a whole becomes like this
4 eggs
3/4 cup yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
Baking powder+ vanilla+cinnamon
4 cups grated carrots
Walnuts

Please tell me what you think about the difference in texture or taste this substitution will make.
Thank you ^^

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

To be honest I've never done a direct comparison myself. I've done recipes with oil, and recipes with yogurt, but I've not done the same recipe making the substitution.

If it were me, I'd just half the oil and replace it with the same amount of thick yogurt (or maybe slightly more). So one cup of oil would become half a cup of oil and half a cup of yogurt. It will make the cake less rich.

I've heard that mayonnaise is a convincing substitution for oil, and it has a much lower fat content. Have you ever tried it?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

To be honest I've never done a direct comparison myself. I've done recipes with oil, and recipes with yogurt, but I've not done the same recipe making the substitution.

If it were me, I'd just half the oil and replace it with the same amount of thick yogurt (or maybe slightly more). So one cup of oil would become half a cup of oil and half a cup of yogurt. It will make the cake less rich.

I've heard that mayonnaise is a convincing substitution for oil, and it has a much lower fat content. Have you ever tried it?
Thanky you
I'll try halving the portions next time that sound like a good idea.
I don't really associate carrot cake with being rich so if it works with the half portion I might try to substitute the whole amount next time.
Mayonaise also sounds good; I haven't tried it before but it seems to do the job well.
I'll update the results if I get the time to make them.
Thnak you again ^^

Reaction score
@Becky is correct about using mayonnaise. About 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup mayo in place of oil.

Using yogurt as a substitute is a bit problematic because oil contains 0% water and yogurt is about 89% water. So yogurt throws your liquid ratios off. All that moisture will make for a denser and gooey cake. Since carrots and egg whites contain a lot of water as well, the structure of the cake will be weak.

If you want to experiment with regular yogurt it’s best to strain it first. To strain yogurt place a couple layers of cheesecloth, a clean cotton dish towel, or a coffee filter over a five mesh sieve. Place sieve over a bowl. Fill sieve with yogurt. Refrigerate for at least two hours. Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt with more whey strained out of it.

How to strain yogurt

https://toriavey.com/how-to/how-to-strain-yogurt/

Ask a Question