I tried making corn tortillas

Reaction score
I got a great deal on 'instant masa' flour, so decided to try making corn tortillas. I knew it was a long shot that they'd come out the way I wanted, but I used the recipe on the package of masa, so I was surprised at how difficult the process ended up being.

I had to almost double the amount of masa to water, just to get it to the stage where I could actually roll it out, either with my hands or a rolling pin, which is what I ultimately used. I did fry some up, and they came out o.k., but I think the next time I try making tortillas I'm going to go with a different recipe and make flour tortillas, rather than masa ones, because I think the dough will be an easier consistency to manage.

I know this isn't really baking, but of course, if I am able to perfect my technique at some point, I would probably end up baking with the tortillas :D. I was hoping if the masa tortillas came out properly, that I would ultimately try making enchiladas, and also tamales, which are my favorite.

Reaction score
Just a piece of advice (I've a lot experience with corn tortillas), try to use ''Mazeca'', that brand is perfect for those. And if you can invest on a tortilla press do it.... if you can't, simply shape the tortillas by just placing the masa ball between two big plastic bags, extend it with your rolling pin. The shape might not be as perfect as it would with a press, but it's works well enough.

When done cook them on a pan... or if you have a ''comal'' do it there. It takes some practice, but after a bit it'll be much easier :) Also don't always trust those recipes... just test adding water little by little until you get the right consistency. You will know... because the masa will not be sticking to your hands when you shape the masa into a ball :)

They never tell you that on the back of those masa packages, hehehe. But thought I'd share with you :) Corn tortillas are great for those who are on a gluten free diet, contain lots of fiber too :) Very healthy! I hope you don't give up making them.

Reaction score
Ah, thank you @Trellum I've heard of and seen that brand around here in the stores. The brand I used was one I've never heard of before, Tio Flaco, or something similar to that. I will definitely not rely on the recipe from the next package, although I've never had an issue with that in the past, and I'll do as you mentioned, and add the water slowly, and as needed.

I do think I'll try making flour tortillas next time, because if I experience success with that, I might be more amenable to trying the masa ones again at some point in the future. Comals are pretty easy to come by around here, but I don't have one right now. I used to have a tortilla press, but gave it away, since I was really busy back then and never got around to using it. If I enjoy making them, I might invest in another at some point. I know the homemade flour tortillas will be heavenly, thanks for your encouragement!!

Reaction score
Yeah, I made those in a restaurant when I was younger. Unless you are an experienced tortilla maker, you need all the "gadgets" to make them. And a tortilla press is the one you need.

In the restaurant we had hot tortilla presses, so they pressed out the tortilla and cooked it at the same time. Talk about lazy!!!! LOL

Reaction score
This is something I'd never even thought about making before. I just buy them at the supermarket - they're inexpensive here and I guess the convenience of pre-made wins over home made in some situations for me! For anyone that has successfully home made their own, what would you rate the taste difference as from one to the other? Are there any major pros to making your own?

Reaction score
Oh there's a major taste difference @cupcakechef, as with most things. There's a store not that far away (but too far for me to get to easily very often) that makes their own in store sometimes, and I enjoy watching, and smelling them as they're made. There's a world of difference between those made fresh and pre-packaged. I tend to try to avoid preservatives as much as possible, so I will definitely try making them again, but the flour variety. If I like the process and end product, I'll eventually invest in some supplies, but for now I'll just try making them by hand.

Reaction score
Oh there's a major taste difference @cupcakechef, as with most things. There's a store not that far away (but too far for me to get to easily very often) that makes their own in store sometimes, and I enjoy watching, and smelling them as they're made. There's a world of difference between those made fresh and pre-packaged. I tend to try to avoid preservatives as much as possible, so I will definitely try making them again, but the flour variety. If I like the process and end product, I'll eventually invest in some supplies, but for now I'll just try making them by hand.

Now you have me super curious about trying to make my own. Something that I'll need to research a little more, I think! Since I don't have a tortilla press it might prove a little difficult but I want to give them a try!

I hear you about the preservatives, too...seems like they are in everything and anything these days, so there's always that reassurance when you make your own stuff that it doesn't have those things in there!

Reaction score
This man has a heavy accent and is not speaking very loud, but you can see how he is using the electric tortilla press. It flattens and cooks at the same time. You can use this for tortillas and flat breads.

Here is a more simplified version...

Reaction score
I love corn tortillas. There is an eatery here called Pollo Loco where they serve broiled chicken eaten with tortillas instead of rice. My husband would always say that the tortilla is a healthy food staple of the Mexicans (I don't know if this is really true). But I wouldn't venture on making my own tortilla because there are only 2 of us in the house who eat tortilla. So if I want tortilla, we just go to Pollo Loco.

Reaction score
Thanks, Chester, maybe in the future I can afford something like that. I'll probably make a small batch at first, and after the attempt using masa, I'll definitely make flour tortillas next time. I picked up some more cheese and refried beans the other day, but forgot the tortillas, so maybe this will be the excuse I'll need to try making them again.

Ask a Question