Iced Raisin Cookies

Reaction score
One of my favorite cookies is something that I had when I was little, but is extremely difficult to find in the cookie isle at the store anymore....Iced Raisin Cookies.

It's more of a shortbread cookie with raisins in it, with a hard spiced icing on top.

I've made these before, but I used plain shortbread cookie dough and just added raisins to it.

This is the actual recipe for the correct Iced Raisin Cookie...

ingredients
makes 25

1 stick (8 tbsp) 4 oz (112 g) butter
1 cup (180 g) soft brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 cups (225 g) plain flour (All purpose)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp each ground cinnamon and Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
pinch salt
4 tbsp soured cream
2 tbsp milk
1/2 cup (3 1/2 oz) 100 g raisins
1 cup (110 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

method
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) gas mark 4.

2. Cream the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.

3. Add the egg a little at a time, beating well after each addition.

4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt, then fold into the creamed mixture alternately with the soured cream, milk and raisins.

5. Drop tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet, leaving plenty of space in between for them to spread.

6. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until brown.

7. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.

8. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in 3 tbsp boiling water and the vanilla essence.

9. Brush this over the cookies and return to the oven for 5 minutes.

10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.

As an alternative to steps 9 and 10, you can cool the cookies on the rack.
Once cooled, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, along with 1 tablespoon of meringue powder. Whisk in the vanilla and boiling water. Spread over cookies and let dry.

182b0b54-ba60-4363-9b25-a33ecbcbb134

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to add.....

I usually have a plain vanilla cookie with raisins (maybe a hint of cinnamon), but I spice the icing.
Or sometimes I will use some sour cream or cream cheese in the icing instead. Depends on what my tastes are at the moment I'm making them.

Reaction score
Mmm those sound (and look) delicious! Might have to give those a try sometime... when we've eaten through our current supply of cookies :D

Reaction score
One of my favorite cookies is something that I had when I was little, but is extremely difficult to find in the cookie isle at the store anymore....Iced Raisin Cookies.

It's more of a shortbread cookie with raisins in it, with a hard spiced icing on top.

I've made these before, but I used plain shortbread cookie dough and just added raisins to it.

ingredients
makes 25

1 egg, beaten
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
4 tbsp soured cream
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

method

4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt, then fold into the creamed mixture alternately with the soured cream, milk and raisins.

5. Drop tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet, leaving plenty of space in between for them to spread.

8. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in 3 tbsp boiling water and the vanilla essence.

Once cooled, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, along with 1 tablespoon of meringue powder. Whisk in the vanilla and boiling water. Spread over cookies and let dry.

Thank you so much .. my sisters and myself miss eating these cookies from Kellogg’s Mother’s Iced Raisin Cookies .. it would be great if they sold them again .. however, this is a great start ..

Reaction score
Thank you so much .. my sisters and myself miss eating these cookies from Kellogg’s Mother’s Iced Raisin Cookies .. it would be great if they sold them again .. however, this is a great start ..
Hello! My husband is a huge fan of those Mothers iced raisin cookies and every time we go to the store I watch him eagerly look down the cookie aisle for their possible return, which never happens. I decided to look for a recipe to try to duplicate them for him and I came across yours. My last batch is in the oven right now and my husband thinks they are really delicious, however not at all like the Mothers iced raisin. Thank you very much for posting your recipe here and if you have one that’s closer to the Mothers, I would love to try that too!

Reaction score

ingredients
makes 25

1 egg, beaten
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
4 tbsp soured cream
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

method

I made these, not even close to the original cookie!

Ask a Question