Icing a cuboid ?

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm new here so please bare with me.

It is my fiance's birthday tomorrow and he is having a family party on Sunday and I told him I would bake him a cake.....I stupidly asked him what type of cake he wanted and he wants a Tardis shaped on, like a standing up Tardis not a rectangle.

I have brought some pre-coloured blue icing to ice it with and I plan on making it a Madeira cake as I heard they are stronger than a plain sponge (please correct me if this is wrong)

I have a few questions and I would be really grateful if someone could advise me !

1. What should I use to stick the icing to the cake?
2. Should I put the icing on in one big sheet or do the 4 sides and the top separately ?
3. I am baking the cakes today then decorating tomorrow, I am worried the icing will slide off, any advise ?

Thanks for any advice, I'm a newbie when it comes to decorating.

Reaction score
I'm assuming that because you say in one big sheet or pieces, you are using fondant as icing? If that is the case then you are better off using it as one sheet. You need to roll it large enough to cover the Tardis from top to bottom with some left over that you can trim off. And it also has to be thin enough so that it won't be too heavy but not so thin that it will rip.

1. What should I use to stick the icing to the cake?
Use buttercream frosting as your base. Cover the whole cake with it and smooth it as much as you can. Any imperfections on the buttercream will show on your fondant.

2. Should I put the icing on in one big sheet or do the 4 sides and the top separately ?
One big sheet (again, assuming you are using fondant).

3. I am baking the cakes today then decorating tomorrow, I am worried the icing will slide off, any advise ?
Again, if it's fondant, you are best to work in a cool environment so that it will get firmer. Working in a warm environment will soften the fondant and make it slide right off the cake (been there, done that, not fun).
Fondant is not easy and hate to be a bummer, but you may need practice first. Again, this is if you are using fondant. You can also use tinted buttercream instead of fondant. I think it will be much easier. You just apply and can smooth down with a "scraper". Then you can use some buttercream in a bag to pipe in the details. Good luck!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Great to have you here :)

I would disagree about using one whole sheet of icing... If the Tardis was lying down then I agree it would be the best way to do it, but if it's standing up I think it would be difficult to form the icing around the shape. I'd be tempted to do the top and sides separately instead. Cover the cake in a thin, smooth layer of buttercream first, and it will help the fondant stick to the cake.

I'm really interested to know how you get on - keep us posted! We'd love to see a photo :)

Ask a Question