Icing in the middle

Reaction score
I bought a box cup cake mix that you put the chocolate icing in the middle. My family loved them but I can't find the mix anymore. I have tried it with just regular cake mix and icing buy the icing just melts and absorbs into the cake. Any recommendations on how to do this? Is there a special kind of icing I need to be using?

Reaction score
Hi,
What was the mix? Was it Betty Crocker's FunDaMiddles? If so, we can investigate the ingredients.
Are you looking for a recipe that calls for filling the cupcakes before baking or after?
Let's figure this out!

Reaction score
I had never tried this with regular store bought icing to be honest. I make carrot cake muffins from time to time and fill them up with cream cheese icing I make myself, no problems. My guess is your store bought icing isn't dense enough.

Reaction score
Sounds like lava cake. It is a special kind of icing that is more of a fudge than just icing. I am not sure how to do it but you could look up lava cake recipes.

Reaction score
Buy some chocolate truffles from the store , you can finsd some that are not too pricey at the supermarket. Place a truffle in th middle of each cupcake and bake you should get somethng similar to what you are looking for.

Reaction score
I have had lava cake before. It is delicious. I have always wanted to make my own chocolate cake with grape jelly in the middle. Would the jelly stand up to the heat? Even if it melted, would remain inside and reform at least part of it's texture? It might be better that it did partially melt, to give it more of a syrup-like texture.

Ask a Question