Icing Roses

Reaction score
Every time I try to make roses out of icing, I mess up. The icing is always too thick or too thin! I want to make the really nice detailed roses. Can anyone give me some hints and tips on making the perfect icing rose?

Reaction score
What kind of roses are you talking about? Piped roses or fondant roses?

Reaction score
Ah I see! Are you using buttercream? You want to get it thick enough that it holds it's shape, but not so thick that it cannot be piped. Using a star piping nozzle, start in the middle and swirl out to make the rose. It's easy once you get the hang of it - here's a video which is for two-tone roses:

There are also photos of icing roses I did recently in this topic: Oreo Cupcakes

Reaction score
This looks so easy! What a great idea! This adds such a touch of elegance and professionalism to any cupcake or large cake. The two-tone is such a pretty idea too. Using that same technique of adding different color buttercream in the bag you could even try a three-tone or rainbow rose.
I can see how the consistency is really important in the piping and dying parts though. You want it not too thick, but not runny either. I've had that problem with other icing projects, and it just ends up a mess.
Thanks, Rosie! and thanks Becky for sharing!

Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I am very excited to try this out. Maybe I will have better luck next time I try. I have always wanted to make them because roses are my favorite (No matter how cliche :p) and I would love to add them to my baking.

I wonder how it would be to put a small icing rose on top of a macaroon! I have never seen it done before but I am making macaroons this week for valentines day. Maybe I will give it a try on a macaroon or so!

Reaction score
Thank you all so much! I am very excited to try this out. Maybe I will have better luck next time I try. I have always wanted to make them because roses are my favorite (No matter how cliche :p) and I would love to add them to my baking.

I wonder how it would be to put a small icing rose on top of a macaroon! I have never seen it done before but I am making macaroons this week for valentines day. Maybe I will give it a try on a macaroon or so!

Yeah I think that would look lovely! Just get a smaller nozzle if you want to do smaller roses. Let us know how you get on!

Reaction score
Some helpful tips above, however I have another question. Normally when I make icing I use about 200 grams of icing sugar and about 125 grams of butter with a few dashes of milk. I then proceed to cream it together until I get smooth consistency which is not too runny and yet not thick, question is this: What consistency would be best for the icing roses? Obviously if its too runny it will not shape properly, what ratio between ingredients should I use? any other advice is also welcome.

Reaction score
I have tried and tried this is something i just can not get right.I can start off doing everything right then somewhere done the line I mess up. Thank oyu for posting the video I will watch it and see if I can finally get this rose to come together.

Reaction score
Do you put in a lot of butter or cream? I mean of we put butter, it tends to melt which can interrupt in getting the desired shape. Though, I never tried it, I heard one of my friend facing the same issues. I believe we need to add something which can keep the consistency thicker.

Ask a Question