I'm making bread, ya'll!!

Reaction score
Ha, ha. I'm just excited because I finally started making my own bread using a bread oven. And, I didn't even have to buy the bread oven. I noticed an olde bread oven that had been stored away in my Mom's basement for quite some time. One day I just asked if she was using it (I knew she hadn't in many years) and she was glad to get some "clutter" out of the house. Score!

I absolutely love it! I love waking up to the smell of it. I love hearing it do its thing in the background while I work at the computer. And, no messy hands!

It's an old Welbilt ABM600 model that makes a 1lb. loaf. That's perfect for me. The french style bread is my favorite. I've always wanted a bakery to go to but we don't have one in town, but I make my own now. I can't wait to try some of the other recipes.

Reaction score
I love my breadmaker, it's just so easy! I really love making bread by hand, but when you're pushed for time the breadmaker is fantastic. The yummy smell is both a blessing and a curse though - I love it, but it makes me sooo hungry I find myself cutting a slice as soon as it's out!!

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm (almost) ashamed to say that the little 1lb loaf that I make doesn't last the day. It's so good. And, I know what's in it so that makes it even better. I find bread that you get at a grocer's deli tends to have a high salt content, and who knows what amount of preservatives.

Reaction score
I have never been able to bake bread, it always turned out horrible, and we fed it to the dogs and chickens, it was that bad ! When I first got my bread machine, I tried the little boxes that came with it, and they were not very tasty either. I was about ready to give up on the bread machine, and a friend suggested that I at least TRY the recipes that came with the machine.

Oh, my goodness.... I actually made bread that was edible ! Now, I love my bread machine. There are lots of good recipes online for a machine, plus, I found a cookbook at the thrift store for it, too.
I like putting in fresh shredded carrots, and other colorful bits, and making breakfast bread with raisins and cranberries and carrots, and apples.
You can also make your own pizza dough, and the homemade pizza is awesome . Bread machines are just the greatest .

Reaction score
I like putting in fresh shredded carrots, and other colorful bits, and making breakfast bread with raisins and cranberries and carrots, and apples.

That sounds interesting! Do you have trouble with the moisture level of the bread when adding those types of ingredients? Even without adding these types of things, I find that I have to watch the dough for about a minute to ensure the proper "wetness" of the dough.

It's a very small difference between a great loaf and one that's just okay. Sometimes, I have to add a tiny amount of water or flour. I've learned to see the difference in the way it's reacting to the kneading.

Reaction score
I usually bake bread from scratch. I don't use a bread maker. Instead, after mixing in all the ingredients I just put them in the a pan in a oven. They usually come out fantastic.

Reaction score
hehe I am happy for you that you got a bread maker from your mother without needing to spend. :) I had to hold on to my baking urges for 2 years before getting an oven because of moving to a new place and having to refurbish the house on my own. So, now I really get to enjoy baking all sorts of things.

Reaction score
I've never made bread before but I so want to try it at least once. I didn't know you could make it without a bread machine. I'm going to get me a loaf pan just to experiment with.

Reaction score
I really envy you, @limcid. I am currently looking for a bread machine, but they are really expensive. So I have to wait a little bit more. My sister has one and we make from time to time. I really like the idea of homemade bread- it is more delicious and healthy. But one piece is definitely not enough :)))) I haven't heard about making bread without a bread machine. Can you share with me the recipe?

Reaction score
I have absolutlely been spoilt by my parents! They got a bread machine years ago and have made their own bread ever since. It's sooo good! Now that I have moved out, I don't have a machine of my own and have been trying out some store-bought bread until I can afford my own machine. Do you guys have any recommendations on which brand comes closest to the fresh goodness? I've seen (http://www.statista.com/statistics/191165/top-fresh-bread-brands-in-the-united-states/ ) that Nature's Own is the most popular, and while I like their whole wheat, I kind of prefer Pepperidge Farm, because I think they're more creative with their recipes. What do y'all think?

Ask a Question