I'm so frustrated!

Reaction score
Okay, so I just need to vent a little to people who may understand.
So I was asked to do a wedding cake and I was happy to do it.
I had it all planned out and began buying things for the cake.
I made a beautiful gumpaste flower also and that took a few tries.
I spent maybe $80.
A couple weeks ago I got an email from the bride telling me they were postponing the wedding because the grooms father died. I understood and said I could do the cake when they decided to get married. It seemed like everything was settled.
Until a day or two after the original wedding date, my mom was on Facebook and found wedding pictures from their wedding! They got married! She lied about it being postponed. I cannot describe the kind of frustration and anger I felt when I found this out. And if she had just talked to me we could have come to an agreement but she decided to lie and now I am out all of that money.
In the future I'm definitely going to find a better way to do this where I don't end up losing money.
Thank you so much for letting me vent!

Reaction score
Well, you have grounds for a lawsuit under "breech of promise", since you have proof of her lies.

Yeah, thats way beyond nasty and hateful. If she didn't want your cake, she should have just said so.
On the plus side (for me anyway), people like this are never happy.......they won't be married long.
;)

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, her bad behavior is all too common. When your passion for baking becomes a business it's best to formalize your process.

Both parties should sign a contract that include:

Name and contact information of client
Name and contact information of event coordinator
Venue: address & note any particular requirements/issues regarding venue
Name and contact information for the venue coordinator
Date of event
Deadline date for all changes to design and/or servings
Delivery time and set up window
Product: cake details and cake stretch
  • Flavors of each tier
  • Fillings in each tier
  • Number of servings
  • Number of tiers
  • Tier shape(s)
  • Tier size
  • Icing type(s) and colors
  • Anniversary tier
  • Cake board covering/design
  • Cake stand (if providing rental of stands)
  • Decorations: designs, colors
  • Topper
  • Brief description of design of each tier
  • If a groom's cake is ordered then all the details for the cake should be listed separately
Price:
  • price per serving
  • total number of servings
  • any additional fees like delivery and set-up, cake stand rental
  • total cost including any delivery and rental fees

Non-refundable deposit
  • reasonable fee like $50 due at signing
  • some bakers charge this as a separate fee for holding a reservation months in advance
  • others will apply it toward payment of the cake)

Balance due dates
  • 50% 6 weeks before event
  • balance in full due 2-3 weeks depending on need to procure difficult to source items
  • Policy work on cake will not commence until the final payment is received no exceptions.
  • Accepted forms of payments. If accepting personal checks, how checks are to be made out
All other policies, including cancellation and refund policy and what and how you will remedy a problem if the issues arises on your side of the house

Signature and date lines

Reaction score
Yes to what Norcalbaker said.

Even though in some states in the USA where a verbal contract is also a binding contract, it is always the best option to get everything in writing, even if it's just a rough estimate on a piece of paper......get it signed and dated by the other person.

ALWAYS get a down payment. Once they pay that non-refundable down-payment, they will usually think twice about backing out.

This is how most bakers in my area work............

DEPOSITS and DOWN-PAYMENTS are not the same thing! You can have either or both, depending on how you want to run your business.

The refundable DEPOSIT is to "hold" the cake order, so you know they are serious. You know to have your list ready for what you will need for this order. But you do not spend any money on it until they make the down-payment or pay in full. The customer must confirm the order (usually at least 2 weeks prior to the ready date) from the deposit and make the down-payment or pay in full before you start working on the cake.

The DOWN-PAYMENT is actually partial payment changing hands. This is considered your initial payment to order the supplies needed for the order. Your actual "payment in full" is up to you. You can make the cake and have them pay in full when it is picked up, or they have to pay in full before you actually make the cake. But the down-payment is usually the amount you need to order the supplies needed for the cake, which includes any specialty pans you might need.

This way, you aren't out any money having to order supplies for an order someone plans to cancel on.

In this case, I would have gotten a $120 down-payment from them.

Standard order contracts, catering contracts, wedding cake contracts can all be found free online. All you have to do is search for one that best fits your style and "tweek" it to fit your needs.

The information Norcalbaker put forward, is what we would call a catering contract down here in the Southern states. I've never needed such detailed information, as I've always been good at deciphering what the bride or her mother wants in the cake by just talking to them. Never had a customer who wasn't hysterically thrilled over their wedding cake. I had a basic order form, and the bakery manager decided the payment plan, even though I would decide the total price.

A lot of "at home" or "newbie" bakers make the mistake of trusting people. BIG NO-NO! You cannot trust anyone, not even a "sweet little old lady". There are people out there who know how to manipulate you if you show them any business weakness.

If you have a trusting nature, then you need to fit your business to your nature. I would suggest you always get payment in full, up front, from each and every customer who wants to make special orders. This way, it is one big headache you don't have to deal with later on. I would also suggest you do not offer refunds of any kind, once the order has been made. If you want to give a refund time frame, then make it from the time they express interest in the order to the day before you actually start ordering the supplies for the order. Once the supplies have been ordered, no refunds.

You have to protect yourself and your business. Otherwise people like this will spread the word, and you will have a massive problem on your hands. Because customers are basically spoiled brats. "Well, you did it for HER....then you can do it for ME"! Once you've had to deal with that, you will change your ways REAL fast.

Although you will have some decent, honest customers....a lot of them will be looking for "free", and try any way to get it from you, or do what this woman did to you. You have to protect yourself.

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, her bad behavior is all too common. When your passion for baking becomes a business it's best to formalize your process.

Both parties should sign a contract that include:

Name and contact information of client
Name and contact information of event coordinator
Venue: address & note any particular requirements/issues regarding venue
Name and contact information for the venue coordinator
Date of event
Deadline date for all changes to design and/or servings
Delivery time and set up window
Product: cake details and cake stretch
  • Flavors of each tier
  • Fillings in each tier
  • Number of servings
  • Number of tiers
  • Tier shape(s)
  • Tier size
  • Icing type(s) and colors
  • Anniversary tier
  • Cake board covering/design
  • Cake stand (if providing rental of stands)
  • Decorations: designs, colors
  • Topper
  • Brief description of design of each tier
  • If a groom's cake is ordered then all the details for the cake should be listed separately
Price:
  • price per serving
  • total number of servings
  • any additional fees like delivery and set-up, cake stand rental
  • total cost including any delivery and rental fees

Non-refundable deposit
  • reasonable fee like $50 due at signing
  • some bakers charge this as a separate fee for holding a reservation months in advance
  • others will apply it toward payment of the cake)

Balance due dates
  • 50% 6 weeks before event
  • balance in full due 2-3 weeks depending on need to procure difficult to source items
  • Policy work on cake will not commence until the final payment is received no exceptions.
  • Accepted forms of payments. If accepting personal checks, how checks are to be made out
All other policies, including cancellation and refund policy and what and how you will remedy a problem if the issues arises on your side of the house

Signature and date lines

This is really helpful and I'll definitely from now on use a contract. I don't want to be put in this position again.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Angie, I would like to know what you used and how you created the gumpaste flowers. Is there a tutorial along with a recipe? Does creativity level matter? Like to try something else other than using molds Thanks

Reaction score
This is really helpful and I'll definitely from now on use a contract. I don't want to be put in this position again.
Thank you!

Angie just one other thing I forgot to mention...provide a event cake cutting chart to the bride and include a copy in the cake box.

Caters know how to slice event cakes. But every baker uses a different slice size. If you use might use 1 1/2" as your standard; a bride may order 2 1/2" slices. So providing a cake serving guide to the cater will ensure the cake is sliced into the required number of servings.

If you don't have a chart, just google "printable event cake slicing chart."

Reaction score
Hi Angie, I would like to know what you used and how you created the gumpaste flowers. Is there a tutorial along with a recipe? Does creativity level matter? Like to try something else other than using molds Thanks

Denlach,
Here's a few resources on realistic sugar flowers.

Most sugarpaste flowers are gumpaste since it can be rolled thin. But it dries fast, so you do have to work fast.

A 50/50 blend of gumpaste and fondant also works well. It dries a bit slower so you have more work time.

Since gumpaste flowers, whether 50-50 blend or all gumpaste are fragile, it's always advisable to make several extra flowers of each type in case one or two breaks before the cake set up for display.

The best sugar art flower supplier is Sugar Art Studio. Not only does Giovanna Smith sell the the best quality supplies, but she is an amazing sugar artist.

http://www.sugarartstudio.com

Video Tutorials

Gumpaste recipe: Nicolas Lodge is considered the original grand master of sugarpaste flowers.

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

How to use veiners and size cutter to veiner

Peony
https://www.globalsugarart.com/making-a-gumpaste-peony-video-inspiration.html

Hydrangeas
https://www.globalsugarart.com/making-gumpaste-hydrangeas-video-inspiration.html

Dahlias

Sweet peas

Parrot Tulip

Reaction score
Thanks very much Norcalbaker59. Do you purchase the gumpaste (I do see it in the stores around here) or is it better to make it yourself. Also, when is it a good time to color the gumpaste. Could I just use the white and fold in the color rater than make or purchase the different colors? Not sure really. Thanks for the tip on mixing the gumpaste with the fondant to allow for the extra time to create the flowers. Can use all the time I can get.

Reaction score
Thanks very much Norcalbaker59. Do you purchase the gumpaste (I do see it in the stores around here) or is it better to make it yourself. Also, when is it a good time to color the gumpaste. Could I just use the white and fold in the color rater than make or purchase the different colors? Not sure really. Thanks for the tip on mixing the gumpaste with the fondant to allow for the extra time to create the flowers. Can use all the time I can get.

DenLach,
I purchase it. The cake industry has experienced a boon in the past decade. So quality gumpaste is readily available. Since you asked specifically about a recipe, I posted the link to Nicholas Lodges' recipe.

I like Fat Daddio Pro Series, It has a very smooth texture. It is very pliable right out of the container. It's very white, which is important when coloring as you don't want a gray or yellow tinged gumpaste to dull your color. Its strong. It rolls out thin. I just made several dozen butterflies with a 50/50 blend of the Fat Daddio gumpaste mixed with Pettinice fondant. Even if I use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes I like to customize it So I rolled the butterfly wings out thin to create a more elegant shape. I rolled the wings to paper thin on the edges, then I then used a tiny piping tip to punch decorative holes in the wings because I really hate that cookie cutter look.

Despite the thinness and the holes that I punched in the wings those butterflies held up beautifully.

Fat Daddio runs about $10 for a 1 lb tub. It's a few dollars more than Wilton, but worth it.

I only use Wilton products to practice on. I think Wilton is fine for practice, but not for the finished product.

Fat Daddio is not available in your big box craft stores such as Michael's and Joann's. I purchase it from my local cake decorating supplies store. It's also available online. Most of the online stores sell it for about the same price that I pay at my local cake store. But of course online purchases charge shipping. If you have a specialty cake decorating store in your area, you can ask if they will order it for you if they don't stock it. My local store will special order anything for a customer if their distributors carry it.

BTW, Fat Daddio fondant is excellent as well. It's has great pliability out of the container. It takes color beautifully. Because of the smoothness and pliability you want to make sure you roll it out on a smooth surface. Like all soft fondant with pliability it will pick up the impressions. And this fondant actually taste pretty decent. But the best part about Fat Daddio fondant is you'll rarely get air bubbles. The stuff is really very amazing. I like it better than Wilton and Satin Ice.

But of course it is more expensive than Wilton's. But you can roll it out thin, so it goes a little further than Wilton which will tear if you roll it out to thin. It doesn't have the elasticity as Wilton, so you can't roll out a piece just big enough, expecting to stretch as you go.

if you have a really thin layer of fondant your undercoat of buttercream/ganache needs to be glass smooth. To cover large pieces, anywhere 3/16" to 1/4" thick works best. For covering small pieces, you can roll Fat Daddio fondant as thin as 1/8".

Reaction score

I actually used a rose cutter set to make one. I don't have much in the way of molds or cutters so I had to make due with what I had and I love how it turned out. (Picture attached)
I also made some tiny flowers using the other cutters that come in a rose cutter set. I think they turned out cute and I used them on my mother's birthday cake last month. (Picture attached)
I can't find the video I used but basically you use the ball tool on the edges of the petals then you let them set out until you have two of the bigger cut outs and two of the small. I just layered the bigger one then the smaller ones. I just started working with gumpaste re early so I'm definitely not a pro but I'm working on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
What a nightmare. I sure understand how you feel about this behavior on the part of the bride. Lots of good suggestions from these replies, though, so I'm sure that once burnt, twice shy applies.
I have a similar problem. I cook meals in a barter arrangement. I cook the meal for a service rendered. They usually like comfort food, but it all takes time and money to get it done. I usually cook the day before and bring it to be reheated or partially cooked - you get the picture. It is always an appetizer, meat and the Fixin's, and a dessert plus cookies. I'll occasionally get a call the morning of delivery, canceling the barter, and I'm stuck with a full meal for four. Yes, I can do things with it, but it's hard to justify giving beef Wellington to the food pantry. I live alone, so it is wasted on me. I just grin and bear it.

Ask a Question