How to Add Flare to Your Cupcakes

Reaction score
My favorite way to add flavor and flare to cupcakes is filling them- it's so easy and there are just so many options that can really elevate your cupcakes. You can use caramel, chocolate or mock cream for some versatile basic ideas. Or marshmallow :). Fruit fillings are good as well depending on what you're going for, they really enhance the flavor by having something inside as well as on top.

Reaction score
There are lots of ways to dress up cupcakes. You can try different frosting, different combinations of frosting and cake, Fillings are great. You can make you filling from scratch, or you can cheat and use a good quality fruit preserve that is already pretty thick and just use that.

You can also experiment with your recipes, adding spices, folding in chocolate for a marble look.

Reaction score
You can have a lot of fun with toppings and frosting. Also, extracts are your friend! Almond extract is by far my favorite flavor. Peppermint is also a good one for the winter season!

Reaction score
Almond extract is one of my favorites as well. You can simply add some to a white cake mix and even to the frosting if you like. Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with slivered almonds.

Reaction score
DrYellow you can add flare to your cup cakes by experimenting with different toppings,spices and essences..it's all down to your personal preference. Below is a recipe that i though i'd share with you...

Coconut Cupcakes

BX0709H_coconut-cupcakess_s16x9.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

Ingredients
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
For the frosting:
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.

Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/coconut-cupcakes-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Reaction score
This looks really yummy and I love coconut in anything. What also gets my attention is that all the ingredients are easily accessible.

Sometimes you see a recipe and you can't put your hand on all of the ingredients. I don't even want to suggest I will try this anytime soon but it sure looks like something I will attempt when my schedule changes.

Reaction score
This looks really yummy and I love coconut in anything. What also gets my attention is that all the ingredients are easily accessible.

Sometimes you see a recipe and you can't put your hand on all of the ingredients. I don't even want to suggest I will try this anytime soon but it sure looks like something I will attempt when my schedule changes.

I am actually looking forward to have these made as i have never made coconut cupcakes before; i just came across the recipe and instantly i knew this is something i had to try out.

Ask a Question