In search of the ultimate cinnamon roll recipe!

Reaction score
When I was in middle school in the 70s, a local woman made the most incredible cinnamon rolls ever - they were enormous and had a lot of very thin layers, not a few puffy layers of bread(grrrr!), a lot of cinnamon and anyone who ever had them will remember them and would tell you they were the best they ever had. The public school I attended had some kind of deal worked out with her apparently and the cafeteria would occassionally serve these huge cinnamon rolls AS THE ENTRE for lunch!!! I kid you not, they actually served a cinnamon roll as the main course - you see young ones, that's why we call them 'The Good Old Days'! ;)
Kids would buy 2 lunches just to get 2 rolls, and everyone tried to swipe each others, it was war! It's been almost 40 years since and I have NEVER found a cinnamon roll - one of mankind greatest achievements- that compares. I was told the woman gave the local newspaper the recipe but I looked and looked, alas, i couldnt find it.
So, I am looking for the ultimate cinnamon roll recipe! Many thin layers, not fluffy, I cannot stand a 'cinnamon roll ' that has 2-3 layers of fat bready dough. As to the icing, nah! to cream cheese, I'll take a sour cream icing any day! ;) I'm not concerned with the icing.
So, if you THINK you know of such a recipe, I ask for your help and we shall see. I will not stop until I have found a roll that compares! Such is my quest, I thank you. -with all sincerity, Goldenagenut

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sounds like you want a recipe that uses laminated dough rather than bread dough, like the kind used for Danish pastries and croissants. If it were me, I'd find a really good croissant recipe (like this one) and make cinnamon swirls with it ;)

Reaction score
Another dough that can be used for a lot of layers is Hokkiado milk bread. Just roll it out into a rectangle add your cinnamon sugar filling in butter and bake it up as cinnamon rolls. That’s what I do. There is a lot of Hokkaido bread recipes online

Reaction score
I'm iffy with Cinnamon Rolls myself, but my favorite one has homemade caramel and almonds on the top which is a good alternative if you don't like traditional icing.

Reaction score
I'm iffy with Cinnamon Rolls myself, but my favorite one has homemade caramel and almonds on the top which is a good alternative if you don't like traditional icing.

Oh my goodness that sounds divine!!

Ask a Question