Info on KitchenAid mixer KS M5

Reaction score
I bought this at an estate sale and cannot seem to find a similar model online. It wasn't until they gave me the boxes for the attachments that I realized it was an older model. My wife always wanted one of these mixers so I'd like to know if these older models hold up well? Any maintenance I should do on it? It did not have a manual. I paid $100 for it, which I assume is a fair price?

IMG_20181202_202520.jpg IMG_20181202_202510.jpg IMG_20181202_202459.jpg

Reaction score
I bought this at an estate sale and cannot seem to find a similar model online. It wasn't until they gave me the boxes for the attachments that I realized it was an older model. My wife always wanted one of these mixers so I'd like to know if these older models hold up well? Any maintenance I should do on it? It did not have a manual. I paid $100 for it, which I assume is a fair price?

View attachment 1971 View attachment 1972 View attachment 1973

View attachment 1971 View attachment 1972 View attachment 1973
I'm a little late to the game, but better late than never, right? I can't tell from your pics just how old it is, but I do know that retail on the basic Kitchenaid is around $200.

Reaction score
Wow, I'm even later to this, but I think you scored! Especially if it came with all those extras, the splash guard thingy included. This is I think a link to the user manual online, which might be helpful:
https://www.kitchenaid.com/content/dam/global/documents/201407/useandcareguide-w10388644-revd.pdf

As far as maintenance, I found instructions on replacing the grease in the motor, but it can be a little tricky to get the head unit back together, and when I asked a question of KA, they said they don't want us to do any motor maintenance ourselves. Things to look out for are any scraping of the beater/whisk against the bowl -- there's a screw in the hinge area that can help slightly raise the top part to avoid the friction - and if you use the mixer for a long time, like ten minutes of kneading dough, keep an eye our for any oil leaking from the head unit, which can happen if it overheats and the thick grease broke down over time.

There are a couple of YouTube videos on carefully cleaning your mixer. :)

Ask a Question