Instant coffee

Kay

Reaction score
Hi , I have a recipe for a coffee cake that uses instant coffee. I only have the freeze dried coffee granules. Will I get the same result if I just grind them into a powder? I don't want to add any extra liquid. Thank you

Reaction score
Hi , I have a recipe for a coffee cake that uses instant coffee. I only have the freeze dried coffee granules. Will I get the same result if I just grind them into a powder? I don't want to add any extra liquid. Thank you

Yes it’s fine to use freeze dried coffee. All Instant coffees are coffee with the water removed. The difference is just in the method that the water was removed. Freeze dried simply means it was done through the freezing process. Of all three processes freeze dried actually preserves the most flavor. I think the only way you would get more coffee flavor is if you used instant espresso powder.

Kay

Reaction score
Yes it’s fine to use freeze dried coffee. All Instant coffees are coffee with the water removed. The difference is just in the method that the water was removed. Freeze dried simply means it was done through the freezing process. Of all three processes freeze dried actually preserves the most flavor. I think the only way you would get more coffee flavor is if you used instant espresso powder.
Thank you. I will give it a try. The last one I made was coffee and walnut and it was horrid so I will try without the walnuts this time to see if it's any better - can't be worse :) Thank you

Reaction score
Reaction score
I usually use the Cafe Bustelo instant espresso. It's available in supermarkets here in central Florida. Usually it gets dissolved in some liquid before being added to the batter, but it will dissolve pretty well in a batter as well. For my cupcakes, I dissolved it in some Cafe Lolita coffee liqueur. :)

Reaction score
I usually use the Cafe Bustelo instant espresso. It's available in supermarkets here in central Florida. Usually it gets dissolved in some liquid before being added to the batter, but it will dissolve pretty well in a batter as well. For my cupcakes, I dissolved it in some Cafe Lolita coffee liqueur. :)

I was gonna say that as well. I dissolve mine in a tablespoon of hot water and make sort of a thick syrup out of it before adding it to the batter.

If you like coffee a LOT like I do.........using some freeze dried coffee beans and grinding them into a powder is even better. Sometimes those dried coffee's in the jars are more like freeze dried essence of coffee....meaning they make a super strong coffee, and reduce it, then freeze it. Using actual freeze dried beans makes better coffee flavors.

Reaction score
Never thought about dissolving it in coffee liqueur. Haven't quite baked with liqueurs yet. What flavor cupcakes are they?

It was a coffee spongecake. Good flavor but a little dry for cupcakes. I put a little dulce de leche in a little cut-out in the tops and then topped with a lightly sweetened mascarpone-whipped cream frosting. I'm going to try again with a bit of a richer cake so they're not so dry.

I will occasionally add a bit of amaretto to something instead of, or in addition to, vanilla extract. After all, vanilla is mostly alcohol. One of my favorites was amaretto French toast.

Ask a Question