Is baking an exact science or not?

Reaction score
So I'm sure a lot of people have heard that baking is an exact science. Hearing this has always made me wonder about the measuring spoons I see. I've seen so many different kinds of measuring spoons that were shaped different ways. Some have an extra lip of space and some don't. I would provide some pictures but I don't have the ones I wanted to show. My question is if it's an exact science how come there are so many measuring spoons that I know for a fact don't measure out the same amount. I, for one, don't think it matters as much as some people think it does. What about you?

Reaction score
For ingredients such as baking soda and baking powder, I use exact measurements, but for everything else, I eyeball it. I tend to like more spices in my food than what the recipes call for and I do not notice much of a difference if I measure a little more or little less than what the recipe calls for. I have a pretty good eye for what a teaspoon or a half teaspoon looks like, so I just don't bother with the spoons.

Reaction score
I don't think it is, but my Mom and Grandmother would seriously disagree with me. When I first started baking on my own I would always measure everything and level it off. Now I tend to eyeball it and occasionally use a measuring cup or soon. I haven't noticed much of a difference between my earlier baking methods and the way I do it now.

Reaction score
It's definitely not an exact science. I have old family recipes that I have to translate from German as I use them. One recipe when directly translated calls for "enough flour to make dough". Talk about vague! The first time I made that after my grandma passed I was baffled. My mom had never baked with my grandma so she didn't know how much it was. After some trial and error I discovered that it's about 4 cups.

Reaction score
It might be an exact science but it's definetly hard to make the same thing exactly the same way twice. It's even harder for two people using the same recipe to do it since they might be using difference measuring spoons or cups, and differente ovens.

Reaction score
I would have to say it depends on who is baking. I do better when I am not following directions. When I do things on my own, it tastes better. My sister on the other hand has to follow directions. I think I got my grandmas cooking talents.

Reaction score
Heck no! I think only certain recipes are an "exact science". Half the time I bake I'm either fudging it, or going "eh, that looks like the right amount to me." or just chucking stuff into a pan whilly nilly. I mean, certain things you go have to follow guidelines for, but that's basic stuff, like cookies or cakes and such.

Reaction score
I don't think that it's an exact science necessarily (though many would disagree there, I imagine) but I do think it's definitely more of a science than most other forms of cooking. There is more measuring and understanding of precision needed to get things just right.

Reaction score
I think it's kind of a science, because when I use the exact measurements and the correct temperature, my baked good turn out like the recipe. When I deviate from the recipe, the result is a little off. I've turned out greasy baked goods because I overdid the butter and didn't follow the recipe exactly.

Ask a Question