Is it possible to achieve a smooth sided cake when chunk off the side fell off?

Reaction score
I baked 3 cakes that I plan to stack and ice with buttercream. I used a different brand of cake mix and each of them partially stuck to the pan on the side despite the fact I greased the pans well with butter. A few chunks came off in the process. When I crumb coat it, is it possible for the buttercream to completely fill the gaps and still achieve straight smooth sides? Or should I just start again? Wanting to make the cake as perfect as I can for my son’s 1st birthday

Reaction score
Sure. Fill with icing, or if the chunk is big enough and you have the piece that fell off, glue it back in place with icing. Chill completely after crumb coat.

Reaction score
Sure. Fill with icing, or if the chunk is big enough and you have the piece that fell off, glue it back in place with icing. Chill completely after crumb coat.
Thankyou! I don’t have the piece that broke off still so will try and fix it with the icing

Reaction score
I baked 3 cakes that I plan to stack and ice with buttercream. I used a different brand of cake mix and each of them partially stuck to the pan on the side despite the fact I greased the pans well with butter. A few chunks came off in the process. When I crumb coat it, is it possible for the buttercream to completely fill the gaps and still achieve straight smooth sides? Or should I just start again? Wanting to make the cake as perfect as I can for my son’s 1st birthday
Chill the layers thoroughly. Then torte the layers.

Cut a circle template from parchment paper slightly smaller than the cake. Use the template to trim around the edges of the layers.

Most pastry chefs cut cake circles from sheet cakes rather than bake in cake tins.

How to torte

How to cut cake circles (the principal of trimming the layers down is the same)

Reaction score
Chill the layers thoroughly. Then torte the layers.

Cut a circle template from parchment paper slightly smaller than the cake. Use the template to trim around the edges of the layers.

Most pastry chefs cut cake circles from sheet cakes rather than bake in cake tins.

How to torte

How to cut cake circles (the principal of trimming the layers down is the same)

Thankyou for this info! Much appreciated

Ask a Question