Is store bought pie pastry as good as home-made?

Reaction score
I just noticed that someone asked about a recipe for making pie pastry. I've always bought mine from the supermarket and I was quite surprised to hear that others make their own. I always assumed it was super hard to do so. Is there an advantage to making your own pastry over buying it from the store?

Reaction score
I have never made pastry or at least not that I can remember and I doubt I would forget something like that. I am guessing that the supermarket bought one would be better but that's probably because pastry would be new to me. For me the advantage of making anything at home is that you decide what goes into your stuff. Bought stuff can often leave you wondering what might have gone into your product accidentally or deliberately.

Reaction score
The only advantage you might have in making your own pastry or pie dough is you have control over the ingredients. You can make special dough's for different things, instead of using just one generic crust or pastry dough for everything.

Reaction score
One of the advantages of making your own pastry at home is the fact that you are in control of the ingredients just like what @ChesterV said and you can add whatever you want to add as your own unique ingredient. Plus, that wonderful feeling of looking at your work and finally indulging in it is something worth it. :)

Reaction score
I'm hesitant myself to bake my own pie crust - I haven't had all that much success with it. I think store bought is okay - some people will swear by home made, but to me pies are all about the filling rather than the crust!!

Reaction score
I totally agree with you @cupcakechef! :) When it comes to pies, the important part for me is the filling. I really don't pay much attention to the crust and sometimes I don't even eat the hardest part of it. If I know that a pie has really good filling in it I would really dig into it with pleasure.

Reaction score
Then I am the odd person here? I want the crust to be great and I am happy to discard of the filling if the crust is of the right taste.

Lol! I guess we all have our own different tastes when it comes to pies. You're the same as my little boy. I'm really amazed at how much he loves crusts when most children I know of prefer the filling. That is why whenever we eat pie I would usually give him my slice's crust. :)

Reaction score
When I was young we used to make our own pie crust. I didn't mind doing it then, but after I got married and had kids - I didn't have time or the energy! ;) I have found store bought to be so much easier and convenient! Its ready and all you have to do it fill it!

Reaction score
Personally, I don't like standard pie crust, I live graham cracker pie crust!!!
Mmmmm.

Regular pie crust is ok for hand held pies and meat pies, and even quiche, but for anything sweet, I like graham cracker crust!! Even almond paste or ground nut crust is awesome!

Reaction score
The language of how your asking this is a little vague, so I'll just give you my opinion. Pie crust is always better made homemade, as long as you keep the butter really cold while making it. However, if you are talking about buying puff pastry sheets from the store versus making them at home, I would suggest buying them. Puff pastry sheets taste pretty much the same whether they are store bought or made at home and will save you a ton of time. I usually buy Pepperidge Farm brand puff pastry sheets.

Reaction score
Well this all depends on the person and the expectations, but I have certainly had some pretty good store bought pastries. That said, though, I have also had my fair share of very very poor ones, so you just have to be careful when you are choosing them. In general though, home made is usually the way to go, for me at least.

Reaction score
I've made my own, and bought crusts. I've made the typical pie crusts, as well as ones from a few different types of cookies, such as chocolate cookies, shortbread cookies and also vanilla wafers. I love having a dessert made from scratch from start to finish, because that's how my mom did it, but part of the reason she did was because what we have now for the most part, wasn't available back then.

Pie crusts aren't difficult to make, but they do add a little time to the process, and if you don't have much counter space, or have difficulty with hand/wrist limitations or pain, it can be easier to simply buy the crust. I think either can taste good, and you can always customize the store-bought crusts with cut outs or top it with something like turbinado or colored sugar to make it seem more homemade.

Reaction score
Then I am the odd person here? I want the crust to be great and I am happy to discard of the filling if the crust is of the right taste.

Nope, you are certainly not the only one. I'm with you. Great crust is the best part of the pie. While some store bought ones are okay, there is definitely a difference. A nice, flaky, perfect, homemade crust can make most any filling into something good (if you ask me). My mom is great at it. Me? Not so much, but I'm working at it.

It's funny that I came across this right now, since I was just reading about Pate Brisee, which sounds like a pretty simple version. I guess we're all thinking about pie, with the holidays looming. :D

Reaction score
I am not a real baker so expect me to just buy pastries in bake shops. I think it was last month when I chanced upon a pasty festival where I bought baked delicacies. I even posted a photo of what I bought. But anyway, it depends on the bake shop for the taste of the pastries. I have noticed that the more expensive the tag price, the better is the taste of the pastry. This reminds me to visit the pastry shop this coming weekend and expect some photos from me.

Reaction score
I admit I'm a pie snob, but it is totally worth it to make your own pie crust. There is a definite difference in flavor and texture between store-bought and hand-made. It's not very difficult and usually just requires butter, flour, a little sugar and salt, and enough water to hold it together. The trick is rolling it out evenly, which does take a little practice. The Joy of Cooking cookbook has a couple of basic pie crusts that are easy to master. Go ahead and give it a try.

Reaction score
There is a great crust that is almost as good as homemade: Ready-To-Roll is the name and it’s carried by Whole Foods. It comes in sweet or savory and it’s excellent. It’s an all butter crust, which is my preference. I have used it many times.

Ask a Question