I've discovered a way to caramelise sugar (for the tops of creme brûlée and more) using just a spoon

Tri

Reaction score
I recently decided I had come up with the perfect ratio of cream to yolks to make the silkiest creme brûlée but I was having terrible trouble re-filling my blow torch and couldn't really bear the idea of using the broiler which heats up half of the creme brûlée and it then loses its most special quality for me; cutting through the sugar crust into that cold set cream. So I started looking into other ways in which I could caramelise the sugar and I discovered this method where you just use a spoon but still get that perfect glass sugar crust!

I've made a short video tutorial for it if you'd like to see :)

Reaction score
I love that you worked out a way to do this that doesn't require going and getting extra equipment! I'm a big fan of improvising and using things I already have - this makes it so easy!

Tri

Reaction score
Oh thank you! I'm delighted to hear you like it. It's fun when we can use things we already have hey. Otherwise having to run off to the shop to buy equipment every time we find a recipe we'd like to try can get a little pricey and the kitchen can become a little overrun with equipment :)

Ask a Question