Jamaican Chocolate and Coconut Cake

Reaction score
This is another great Jamaican cake, which I hope you all enjoy. Chocolate and coconut, as most people know, goes very well together. If you don't have Jamaican baking cocoa, or you can't get it online or offline, that's fine. You can simply use the baking cocoa that you have, but it will really help with the flavor if you could get some.

Here's the recipe, and enjoy!

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
¼ cup baking Jamaican cocoa, unsweetened
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Icing Ingredients:
½ cup margarine, room temperature
¼ cup baking Jamaican cocoa, unsweetened
6 tbs. milk
1 pound (1 box) confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flaked coconut

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350◦F. Grease and flour a baking pan.
2. Sift flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine margarine, shortening, ¼ cup cocoa and 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Lightly fold boiled mixture with rubber spatula into the flour mixture. Also, stir in buttermilk, baking soda, eggs, and vanilla.
5. Beat with a hand held mixer until smooth. Pour into a prepared pan.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or when cake springs back when lightly touched with finger. Prepare icing while cake is baking.
7. To make icing, combine margarine, Jamaican cocoa, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture just to a boil before removing from heat. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla before beating with a wooden spoon until smooth.
8. Stir in coconut flakes.
9. Spread icing over hot cake from oven.
Cool frosted cake in pan over wire rack.

Reaction score
That sounds delicious! I love coconut but my hubby isn't keen so I don't often get a chance to bake with it. I bet this recipe would make gorgeous cupcakes too!

Reaction score
I would love to try this recipe, but I would have to find something besides coconut that would blend well with the other ingredients, perhaps pecans, or finely chopped walnuts. Yes, come to think of it, I think that walnuts would do the trick.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm wondering what is the difference in taste between Jamaican cocoa and regular? I'll Google it and try to find out :)

Ask a Question