Jamaican Gingerbread with Honey

Reaction score
The original recipe I had found on the internet, but I did some tweaking and added my own twist to it. You can also add dried fruits in this that's soaked in rum for at least a couple of days. Jamaican honey is the best type of honey to use with this as well as Jamaican ginger--if you can get a hold of it. Jamaican ginger has a very unique flavor which connoisseurs love and lends to the authenticity of the recipe

It's delicious. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup molasses
¼ cup Jamaican multifloral honey or any other type of honey
½ cup light brown sugar
3 eggs
½ cup sour cream
1 tbsp. grated lemon/lime zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground allspice (pimentos)
¼ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Lightly butter a loaf pan before lining bottom with wax paper. Butter paper, dust pan with small amount of flour, before setting aside.
3. With an electric hand mixer cream butter, molasses, honey and brown sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at time, and mix after each addition. Then add sour cream, lime or lemon zest and vanilla. Beat to combine.
4. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and spices, before lightly folding into batter with rubber spatula.
5. Spread batter in floured pans.
6. Bake until toothpick comes out clean for 55-60 minutes.
7. Cool on pan on wire rack for approximately 15 minutes. Take gingerbread out of pan and peel off paper. Drizzle with lemon glaze, frost with cream cheese frosting, or spray whipped cream on top.
8. If reserving until later, cool gingerbread completely before wrapping.

I have a photo of the cake, which I got from yummly.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 546
Reaction score
I was just wondering how to find Jamaican honey in my area also. I am very rural. But I love gingerbread and this looks like something I may want to try, so is it possible to use regular honey? My second question is what fruit do you recommend soaking in rum for this recipe?

Reaction score
This looks and sounds amazing. I wonder how hard it would be to find Jamaican honey in my area?
I was just wondering how to find Jamaican honey in my area also. I am very rural. But I love gingerbread and this looks like something I may want to try, so is it possible to use regular honey? My second question is what fruit do you recommend soaking in rum for this recipe?

You can find Jamaican honey online at Amazon.com

Ask a Question