Japan choux

Reaction score
I stumbled upon a bakery in tokyo. And i tried their choux. I was delicious. Slightly chewy dough and inside was a layer of mochi like layer. And the filling is creamcheese filling.

I tried different methods to recreate this but always failed. I couldnt just go to tokyo when i wanna eat it haha.

Maybe any of you have some insights. Please do share. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 561
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I've never been to Tokyo but I'd love to go one day. What are the photos of - your pastry or the one from Tokyo?

Reaction score
Can u see the photos? I hope i uploaded ot right

Yep I can see the photos - what I was asking was are they photos of what you baked yourself, or are they photos of what you are trying to achieve?

Reaction score
Yep I can see the photos - what I was asking was are they photos of what you baked yourself, or are they photos of what you are trying to achieve?
Those are photos of what im trying to achieves. Any insights?

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but that second photo looks more like bread than choux pastry. Especially the crackled effect on top - that looks like tiger bread.

Reaction score
I'll ask my SIL if she knows. She's Japanese, from Tokyo. She and my brother are in Japan right now. Will be home at the end of the month.

Japanese don't do much baking at home. But my SIL's sister bakes. I sent some baking equipment to Japan for her since equipment and supplies are difficult to come by there. She might be able to help with creating a recipe once it's identified.

Reaction score
T
I'll ask my SIL if she knows. She's Japanese, from Tokyo. She and my brother are in Japan right now. Will be home at the end of the month.

Japanese don't do much baking at home. But my SIL's sister bakes. I sent some baking equipment to Japan for her since equipment and supplies are difficult to come by there. She might be able to help with creating a recipe once it's identified.

Thank you. Tell her its like pastry choux with layer of mochi-like inside

Reaction score
T

Thank you. Tell her its like pastry choux with layer of mochi-like inside

Will do. I was able to save the photos on my iPad. I'll email them to her when she gets home. Interestingly, the pastry in second photo with the crackly top looks like a favorite roll here in the San Francisco Bay Area called a Dutch Crunch roll.

I can make mochi--my mom was Japanese born and raised so I love my mochi!

Reaction score
Bobby,

Mystery solved!

Its called a pai shuu puff, or just a shuu. It's a double dough creampuff: pate a choux inside with a dough called pai shu over it.

Pai shuu is similar to choux, but has confectioner's sugar.

The filling is a pastry cream. You mentioned it had a cream cheese filling. Apparently these things are insanely popular in Japan. So it could be different shops create their own unique take on the filling.

It was created in Japan years ago a shop owner/baker, who called his company Beard Papa. Beard Papa is now a chain with shops throughout Japan and franchised internationally. The puff is so popular in Japan that they are produced and sold in nearly every bakery.

But the Beard Papa pai shuu is the one everyone tries to re-create in their kitchens.

I googled and found a recipe on the Little Japan Mama site. The blogger states the recipe was from her mother, but she tweaked it to her liking.

I'm definitely going to give this recipe a try. I'm intrigued by the double crust.

http://www.littlejapanmama.com/2011/09/pai-shuu-cream-puff-recipe-like-beard.html

Ask a Question