Jazzing up a boxed mix

Reaction score
I am making one white and one chocolate cake and I am subbing butter for the oil and whole milk for the water and extra eggs. I am ok with all that, but do you think adding boxed pudding would make the cake even better or should I leave it out? Each cake is in a 12 x 18 pan, so I am using three boxed mixes for each pan. If I were to add pudding, that wouldn’t make a considerable difference to the height of my cake with too much batter would it? Thank you in advance :)

Reaction score
Box mix is already formulated with emulsifiers to make the cake moist.

Dairy (butter & butter) is not better in a cake. It makes a drier and denser cake. That is why box mix is formulated for oil. Oil makes a much lighter crumb, and a cake that rises higher.

Egg is a binder. Adding an extra egg is just going to make the cake more dense.

Pudding is full of corn starch—again a binder and thickener. while it may add flavor it is simply going to bind the cake.

People don’t realize that the “light” delicate cake from the bakery are made from box mix or pre-made.

Professional pastry chefs bake from scratch. But they’re very selective about the ingredients they choose.

Reaction score
Thank you..I am going to use the oil instead and leave out the pudding. The egg was one extra egg white so I may keep that in? I’m baking it tomorrow so I’m glad I heard from you. I hope to hear from you on my cream cheese frosting post :)

Reaction score
Thank you..I am going to use the oil instead and leave out the pudding. The egg was one extra egg white so I may keep that in? I’m baking it tomorrow so I’m glad I heard from you. I hope to hear from you on my cream cheese frosting post :)

The egg white is not going to make the batter lighter. Egg white has protein that coagulates. When the water in the egg heats up, the strands of balled up protein molecules unfurl. Once they unfurl, the strands become entangled. This is called protein denaturalization. do you see this when you cook an egg and the egg white goes from clear liquid to a mass of white. It does the same thing in a batter.

The only way you can lighten up a batter with egg whites is by making a whipped egg whites (stabilized within acid and sugar), then fold it into the batter. It’s only by trapping air into the egg whites does it lighten the batter.

I wrote this brief explanation about Ccake. There’s a section in there on egg

Ask a Question