Just mixed up cookie dough and realized afterward that the baking soda smelled bad. Throw it out??

Reaction score
Basically what I said in the title. I just mixed up some cookie dough and was cleaning up a bit before putting them on the pan, and I realized as I was closing the ziploc bag containing the baking soda I just used that the stuff smelled awful. It's only a couple of weeks old and been inside of a ziploc bag in the pantry. Do I throw out the dough?

Reaction score
Yeah, baking soda shouldn't smell bad... you should not use it if it smells bad, maybe it mixed with something else? You never know! Just throw it out, not worth the risk. Baking soda has a shell life of 9 to 12 months, by the way.

Reaction score
Yeah, baking soda shouldn't smell bad... you should not use it if it smells bad, maybe it mixed with something else? You never know! Just throw it out, not worth the risk. Baking soda has a shell life of 9 to 12 months, by the way.
baking soda smells nice

Reaction score
Oh wow, I have never had baking soda smell bad unless I was using it absorb the bad odor of something in my refridgerator. You should probably dump out if it smells nasty. Did you have it in an area where there was something going bad in an area of your house? My guess is that it took on the odor or something else and that is where the smell is coming from.

Reaction score
At a glance I was thinking I would feed it to my dogs, but no, no, no. Not even them. I say throw it out. If it's not good for me, it's not good for my "girls". I smell everything before I bake and because I had not been baking for a long, long, time before joining the forum, I am super careful. I had some baking powder recently and did the fizzing test before it was a go.

Reaction score
Huh. I mean, I know that baking soda should last a long time - and to check if it's still effective, you should only mix it with vinegar or anything acidic, if it bubbles, it's still effective. (the fizzing test winterybella refers to)

But if there is a bad smell, better be safe than sorry. Do not ingest it. Use it for cleaning instead?

Reaction score
Sorry guys, guess I was unclear. I was asking about throwing out the cookie dough. Of course I threw out the soda. I ended up throwing out the dough as well.

Ask a Question