How to Keep Your Uncoordinated Kids Safe in the Kitchen

Reaction score
My baby boys are only just now 2-years-old and 1-year-old. They are very uncoordinated and incredibly rough-and-tumble. For two years now, I have tried everything to get my eldest to play organized, normal games such as stacking colored blocks, counting games, alphabet games, separating games, ball, pool, sandbox, building, etc. All he wants to do is destroy things. He has never played with the tons of toys we've bought him. Instead, he likes to get into the kitchen tools, appliances, dishes, tupperwear, glassware, etc. He likes to climb on things, throw things, beat items together to make loud noise... and unfortunately, his little brother is learning to enjoy this same method of play. I am at my wit's end because my babies want to be involved with me in the kitchen but I can't trust them not to throw things at each other or on the ground. I can't even trust them alone in the kitchen, even though I've moved everything out of reach because my eldest has built make-shift stools and ladders in order to reach knives, utensils, dish soap, you name it and this boy has gotten it, ran around the house with it, thrown it, and fed it to his little brother. Just the other day, I found my youngest burping up bubbles from the dish soap and the eldest feeding it to him by the spoonfuls. But, with all that said, they truly are the sweetest little loves and I can see that they want to help Momma cook so bad. What can I let them do to "help" me?!?!?!

Reaction score
I feel for you, I do. I have a 3 and a 5 year old and my five year old is constantly in the kitchen "cooking". I have found that if I prep as much as possible in advance I can let them "help" by stirring and pouring in pre-measured and prepared ingredients.

Reaction score
You can use it as a lesson in counting and measuring! Get out a certain number of spoons, and different sized measuring cups, ask them to help you figure out what you need. Since they're so young, you're probably going to have to stick with the words, "Bigger or Smaller!" but it will be fun for them, and you can watch their little brains logic it out like a puzzle.

My other suggestion is to let them help mix dry ingredients, that you have already separated into the amounts you need for the recipe.

Reaction score
You let them do what you think they are capable of doing. I loved having my boys in the kitchen with me while I cooked and baked. I had the same experiences with my Grandmother when I was little and my boys cooked with me and with my grandmother, their great grandmother, and they have those memories that will last a lifetime. My oldest is now a dad and with any luck he will pass that on to his daughter!

Start small, one child at a time, and have him help make cookies; even if it is just the ready made kind. He is capable of putting them on a pan and helping. Set a timer and let him be responsible for the timer. Kids like to to feel important so if they have a "job" its even better, and in the end there's always cookies!

Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! I'm sorry for my delayed response - I recently moved and only got internet a few days ago. I have been letting the boys help me in the kitchen more, even if it's just uselessly stirring a bowl of flour and adding salt to it. They love it!!!! I also have been teaching them how to make sandwiches. So far, no baking games yet but you have all given me such great ideas!

Ask a Question