Just tried to some sugar work but....

Discussion in 'Decorating' started by Matthew21, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Matthew21

Matthew21 Member

OK, I tried to make some sugarwork last night. Added sugar, water, and Glucose in a pot and melted it, skimmed out impurities, and heated it to 320 degrees. I poured it into the molds, but they came out yellow! Some closer to Orange! Did I let the sugar cook too long? It was one their for a few hours.

Matthew21, Jan 13, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Matthew21

Becky Administrator

Yep it'll be the temperature. Whenever I work with sugar (which isn't often, and I've never tried to keep the colour clear) the temperature continues rising after I've taken it off the heat, so I try to factor that in - ie I take it off a little before it hits target, then watch the thermometer to make sure it gets to the right temp. I'm surprised that the sugar took a matter of hours to get to temperature, are you working with a large batch?

On a related note I've read good things about isomalt for making jewels etc. Might be worth a look?

Becky, Jan 14, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question