Just tried to some sugar work but....

Reaction score
OK, I tried to make some sugarwork last night. Added sugar, water, and Glucose in a pot and melted it, skimmed out impurities, and heated it to 320 degrees. I poured it into the molds, but they came out yellow! Some closer to Orange! Did I let the sugar cook too long? It was one their for a few hours.

Reaction score
Yep it'll be the temperature. Whenever I work with sugar (which isn't often, and I've never tried to keep the colour clear) the temperature continues rising after I've taken it off the heat, so I try to factor that in - ie I take it off a little before it hits target, then watch the thermometer to make sure it gets to the right temp. I'm surprised that the sugar took a matter of hours to get to temperature, are you working with a large batch?

On a related note I've read good things about isomalt for making jewels etc. Might be worth a look?

Reaction score
OK, I tried to make some sugarwork last night. Added sugar, water, and Glucose in a pot and melted it, skimmed out impurities, and heated it to 320 degrees. I poured it into the molds, but they came out yellow! Some closer to Orange! Did I let the sugar cook too long? It was one their for a few hours.

Once it reaches temp you have to arrest it by dipping the bottom of the pan in cold water or it will keep right on cooking, turning darker the longer it sits . Arresting is a very important step.

Ask a Question