• 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
Frosting
  • 6 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups icing sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Stir the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and ginger into a bowl. Stir the ketchup, water and colouring in a separate bowl. Set aside.
  2. Beat the butter and blend in the sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the eggs. Add the flour mixture and ketchup mixture. Beat on low, scraping down the bowl as needed, until combined. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 1 minute. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until the centre springs back when touched lightly. Cool the cakes for 15 minutes before turning onto a rack to cool completely.
  3. Frosting: Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Gradually beat in the sugar on low, scraping the bowl as needed. Beat on high until fluffy. Frost between the cake layers and over the sides and top of the cake. Makes 12 servings.

SOURCE

Reaction score
Jesus, no! I had never heard of ketchup in a cake o_O I had hear about mayo in cake, but never ketchup, lol, what is next? Mustard? But seriously, I'd love to see a picture of this! I don't think I'll ever be courageous enough to try something like this to be honest :p Mayo and vinegar seemed like such a daring idea, but ketchup? Too much for me D:

Reaction score
Jesus, no! I had never heard of ketchup in a cake o_O I had hear about mayo in cake, but never ketchup, lol, what is next? Mustard? But seriously, I'd love to see a picture of this! I don't think I'll ever be courageous enough to try something like this to be honest :p Mayo and vinegar seemed like such a daring idea, but ketchup? Too much for me D:

Trellum you just made me literally laugh out loud with your "Jesus, no!" response...mainly because that's exactly what I was thinking! For some reason I just can't wrap my head around having ketchup in a cake. Like you I had heard of people using mayo in a cake (apparently for moistness) and even that was probably stretching my ideas of what should go into a cake, but I can't imagine ketchup!

Someone else needs to be the guinea pig for this one and try it for us first!

Reaction score
@cupcakechef I have yet to use mayo or vinegar in a cake, so yes, someone more daring needs to try this! But I do wonder... if mayo makes cakes more moist and nice, what does ketchup do exactly? Make it more sweet and tomatey? lol. I just can't imagine a cake made with ketchup, I just can't. But then again, when I heard about the mayo I thought the same :D I hope a trend is not started here... like mustard in a cake! I'll have heard everything when someone tells me they add mustard to their cake...

Reaction score
I haven't tried mayo (not sure if I will either;)) but I have used vinegar to sour some milk. From what i read, the ketcup helps with the sweetness. How true is that, I have no clue. I think ketchup has too much acidity for it to be sweet, but who knows?

Here's the pic:
981023.jpg

The ketchup cake supposedly tastes like spice cake. I guess the ketchup replaces the cinnamon and nutmeg in it. Here's a vid I found:

Reaction score
Oh! A Ketchup cake? I just can't imagine how it taste like. This is something new and sometimes trying a baking recipe like this one I always have fears that it will not turn out good. But anyway thanks for sharing this new and different kind of thing.

Reaction score
I am oddly intrigued by this idea!! Tomatoe sauce has a lot of sugar in it, so I guess it could work in a cake... must give it a try one day (but I won't tell anyone what is in it until they've tried some!)

Reaction score
I am oddly intrigued by this idea!! Tomatoe sauce has a lot of sugar in it, so I guess it could work in a cake... must give it a try one day (but I won't tell anyone what is in it until they've tried some!)

I think that's the trick to it! Make it, get someone else to try it and get their thoughts before divulging the secret ingredient!

Reaction score
I think that's the trick to it! Make it, get someone else to try it and get their thoughts before divulging the secret ingredient!
YES!!! That IS the trick!!! My partner was always saying he didn't like cornmeal. I made my chicken with cornmeal. He was eating and asked me what I did different. "Nothing...why did I burn it? you don't like it'? He was all no I like it it tastes really good. LOL When he was done I asked again and he said it was great. So I confessed. LOLOL He's such a silly butt.

Reaction score
@ThatNewMommy Oh gosh, it doesn't look so bad, but I'm still not entirely sure I'd try it. I love ketchup... with fries, but I'm not sure I'd like to eat something that tasted like that. But I guess this can be a good shortcut for those who want to try some spice cake :p If I were them I'd not tell my guests about the ketchup ;) Let them guess, lol :p

Reaction score
YES!!! That IS the trick!!! My partner was always saying he didn't like cornmeal. I made my chicken with cornmeal. He was eating and asked me what I did different. "Nothing...why did I burn it? you don't like it'? He was all no I like it it tastes really good. LOL When he was done I asked again and he said it was great. So I confessed. LOLOL He's such a silly butt.

Hah, sounds like my husband too...if I cook things with ingredients he says he doesn't like but just sneak them in there and don't tell him, he almost always says the food is delicious. What they don't know doesn't hurt them, right?!

Reaction score
I need to fix this for my sisters and see if the like it,they use to gross me out at supper,by mixing ketchup with mashed taters ,yea it grossed me out when I was a kid,they would even put it on there tongues and stick em out at me :)

Reaction score
I am sorry, don't want to offend anyone here..but this sounds really disgusting to me!!:D

Ask a Question