Kind of Salt Do You Use In Your Baking

Reaction score
What kind of salt do you use in your baking?

Is it a fine salt or a coarse salt that you are using? Or.. It depends on what does your baking recipes needs..

Reaction score
I'm kind of boring and simple when it comes to salt - I just use regular table salt! Unless the recipe specifically called for some sort of different salt...but I've never really seen a recipe ask for a specific type of salt before!

Reaction score
I just use regular salt too. I have seen some recipes call for Kosher or sea salt. I honestly don't know what the difference is. I guess maybe the sea salt is coarser? I'm not "gourmet" enough to use anything beyond what is for everyday use. LOL :) Although if a recipe is very specific I will sometimes buy what it calls for if I don't have it on hand!

Reaction score
Actually
I just use regular salt too. I have seen some recipes call for Kosher or sea salt. I honestly don't know what the difference is. I guess maybe the sea salt is coarser? I'm not "gourmet" enough to use anything beyond what is for everyday use. LOL :) Although if a recipe is very specific I will sometimes buy what it calls for if I don't have it on hand!

Actually me also I am just using a fine salt even a recipe calls to use a coarser salt. It is just that I am comfortable using this kind of salt. But I do had stocks of a fine salt and coarser salt in my kitchen so that it is already available when I need it.

Reaction score
As I am a 80 year old great grandma and suppose to be on a salt free diet I have learned a good deal about salt. First lesson was there is no such thing (as salt free) but I could minimize the amount of salt by reading how much salt is in each ingredient. For instance, enough in salted butter to not add more to some recipes. If recipes specially calls for certain salt I use table salt like every one else does.
It is my opinion that if this world was covered by water in the beginning, when it receded then all salt must be sea salt. But what do I know,after all, I am not scientist,just a grand ma.By the way, I use a inexpensive B&D T.O. for spacesaving. Not enough room for any thing larger and I bake cakes,brownies,cobblers and whatever else I want in it. :)

Reaction score
I mainly use table salt, but also keep sea salt on hand for certain uses. One thing I like sea salt on in particular is popcorn. It just gives it a different taste. I usually keep both salted and unsalted butter here, since some recipes call for one, rather than the other. I've seen recipes calling for kosher salt, but I'm not sure exactly how that differs from the others, other than having been overseen by a Rabbi. One i'd like to learn more about and use is Himalayan salt. I love the tablets they use on the cooking shows, and like the idea of infusing some flavor into a food that way.

Reaction score
I use table salt as well but because I went out and bought sea salt I have used that maybe once when a recipe called for it. MizBarbara, I am watching you and listening to you on the salt issue. Sometimes I trust the Grandmas more than I do the scientist.

Reaction score
Today was disaster day. I spent too much time on making rice pudding but I finally got it right and the pudding was delicious. The first time I made that and have it turned out right. Never once have I had any one ask me what kind of salt did I use while they were chowing down.

Reaction score
As for kosher salt it is very coarse. It can be used for table salt but I stick to using it in recipes that call for it. Table salt is finer in texture.

Reaction score
do ya'll adjust the amount of salt,if the recipe calls for coarser salt ? I use table salt,

I'm a firm believer that salt is just salt,no matter how it is ground up,i did look up sea salt and they said most of it has been processed so much,that any health benefits are gone,if they had any to begin with

Reaction score
When it comes to salt I think about the time before freezers when we kept our fresh butchered meat in a salt box. Life was so much simpler then. If mother needed salt in the kitchen she went to the salt box and helped herself. I think it was before going into town to purchase a new box. We also used coarse salt for making ice cream. Salt was salt. :)
Hmm Just me, I never thought about salt being a processed food. Something to think about.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is strange that they will process salt,it does make one wonder and i haven't heard of a salt box for meat,,what is a salt box ? i know they would cure meat with salt to preserve it and would go to the smoke house and cut off what they needed

oh and that is where people started first liking smoked meat and all it was for,was to help keep the bugs off of the meat

Reaction score
Not every one had a smoke house. Those that didn't used a wooden box made for curing and keeping meat.

Reaction score
I was just looking for salt boxes on google and found some directions on how to build one,looked pretty simple,I had never heard of one before,thanks for the information ;)

Reaction score
They are simple and if you live in a remote area they could be useful even into today's world.

Ask a Question