King Arthur Baking Contest (Random winner)

Reaction score
hey folks,

KAF has a baking contest with an erm... random winner on 22 Mar. Winner has to be legal resident of USA.

I'm not eligible for the contest, but pretty tempted to bake a couple of breads for the fam.
Some of these breads look really appealing.

Tagging a few of you for your consideration! @Emmie @Cahoot @Stephen Booth @stella11366
I can't wait for Emmie to tackle them.
Not sure if these are too easy for @Norcalbaker59 :D hahaha!

Reaction score
hey folks,

KAF has a baking contest with an erm... random winner on 22 Mar. Winner has to be legal resident of USA.

I'm not eligible for the contest, but pretty tempted to bake a couple of breads for the fam.

Tagging a few of you for your consideration! @Emmie @Cahoot @Stephen Booth @stella11366
lol Norcalbaker59 should be a judge... she's incredible ... my bread comes out like a brick..

Reaction score
@stella11366
we need a brick layer to judge our breadbricks. o_O :D

@ShuBunny & @stella11366
We all start some where. I will never forget what my husband said about the cake I brought home after my first 2-day baking workshop: “That is the ugliest cake I think I have even seen. But I will say this, that has got to be one of the most delicious cakes I’ve ever tasted. I think you’re onto something. Keep at it.”

Learning to bake takes time, effort, patiences, and perseverance. The fact that you two invest so much time and effort into your baking has already made both of you better bakers than you were even two weeks ago. You both understand significantly more about the science of baking than when you started.

Home bakers are taught to follow a recipe, which is a list of measured ingredients mixed in a specific order. It is not baking because it doesn’t give the person any understanding of what happens to the ingredients.

Baking is the chemical reaction of the Ingredients to time and temperature.

A formula is specific percentages of specific ingredients. The ingredients are specifically chosen in the specific amounts, and then mixed and heated/cooled to specific temperatures to create specific chemical reactions.

Baker’s percentages, DDT, humidity, batch amounts, scale, oven temperatures and notes on mixing methods are some of the information included on a formula sheet. Formulas are what you find in the baking binders in bakeries, pastry chefs, and most advanced bakers. As the both of you learn more about baking, your baking binders will change from recipes to formulas.

Reaction score
Well I can bake a loaf of bread that’s acceptable to eat but I certainly wouldn’t go in a competition with it besides I live in the uk

Baking competitions have different categories. And they’re normally not judged by photos.

King Arthur is just using this to market their flour. It will be so subjective because they’ll end up selecting on aesthetics alone. I won’t have any idea the quality of the baking.

Edit: if they could see some the process, they would know if the baker was any good--or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Stephen Booth & @Norcalbaker59
That best thing about the King Arthur contest is that it is a random selection of the winner. They accept every tagged image on Facebook and Instagram and then a random drawing for the winner. Bahahaha... aesthetics is not my thing too. But if @stella11366 wins the contest, I wanna be in the private class that the winner gets to be in!

@norcal and @Cahoot
What’s the name of the tool that measures humidity please?

Reaction score
@Stephen Booth & @Norcalbaker59
That best thing about the King Arthur contest is that it is a random selection of the winner. They accept every tagged image on Facebook and Instagram and then a random drawing for the winner. Bahahaha... aesthetics is not my thing too. But if @stella11366 wins the contest, I wanna be in the private class that the winner gets to be in!

@norcal and @Cahoot
What’s the name of the tool that measures humidity please?

Oh so it’s just a random drawing then. Not a baking contest at all. I didn’t read the rules. Then it’s unfortunate that you can’t enter for the prizes.

Baking contests used to be pretty popular. There aren’t as many anymore. There’s a few large international ones that the professional bakers. There’s a lot more trade shows than there are competitions.

There’s often cake competitions mixed in with sugar art trade shows. And a lot of cake bakers will show dummy cakes and give out sample bites at bridal shows.

Reaction score
you measure humidity with a Hygrometer

@ShuBunny the thermometer company ThermoWorks in US and ETI LTD in UK I mentioned to you makes several models. I only purchased mine from them since I buy my thermometers from ThermoWorks. Other companies make Hydrometers. I use it when I set my oven up as a proof box.

It displays humidity and temperature. I can select the temperature in either Fahrenheit or Celsius. It operates with AAA batteries. I remove the batteries when I’m not using it, and just leave it in a shelf in the kitchen. That way the batteries don’t corroded in the storage case.

5D11F3B1-BB0D-444D-9158-CF22253A8830.jpeg

just a word of caution, anyone interested in any ThermoWorks / ETI Products should purchase them directly from the company, or contact their customer service to find an authorized dealer. ThermoWorks will not honor a warranty for products bought on Amazon because Amazon is full of counterfeits.

Reaction score
hey folks,

Wow, these breads look awesome! I've been a bit under the weather but I'm getting my bread mojo back so I might try something new! I'm also in the UK so couldn't enter anyway, though you'd be really disappointed if you aced it with something spectacular and the random winner looked like it had been chucked on the floor. :D

And I guess you could just add some random photo - they're not going to Google image search them all are they? For GBBO/GBBS you have to bake in an audition so they know you didn't just send them photos of someone else's cooking!

Reaction score
Wow, these breads look awesome! I've been a bit under the weather but I'm getting my bread mojo back so I might try something new! I'm also in the UK so couldn't enter anyway, though you'd be really disappointed if you aced it with something spectacular and the random winner looked like it had been chucked on the floor. :D

And I guess you could just add some random photo - they're not going to Google image search them all are they? For GBBO/GBBS you have to bake in an audition so they know you didn't just send them photos of someone else's cooking!

well I’m glad you’re feeling better. It’s been a really long hard year.

Reaction score
@Emmie oh no! Glad you are getting better!

Norcal has pointed out to me about the flour difference / protein level and others for King Arthur (based in USA). That will be helpful for you to bear in mind if you decide on baking their recipes

Ask a Question