Is a Used 6 qt. Kitchen Aid Mixer Suitable for Heavy Dough?

ned

Reaction score
Recently I bought a used 6 qt. Kitchen Aid that seemed to be in good condition. It's first test I put it to was to make bagels, which take 73/4 cups flour and 13/4 cups of water. In making the sponge, which takes the first 4 cups of flour, all was well. But when I added 33/4 more cups of flour for the dough, things went south. The Kitchen Aid stalled and eventually stopped. It seemed not to be up to the task of this amount of heavy dough. It just could not knead this amount of dough. Is this to be expected? I took it apart,and the gearbox is good as is, it seems, the rest of the innards. So, is there something wrong with this mixer, or not? Thanks a lot! Ned

Reaction score
I've always found KitchenAid to be garbage made to sell.

A couple of bakeries I worked at bought some KA mixers and the gears stripped within the first week of use.

Also had other problems of the motor not lifting up, the paddles not coming off the rotor, or as you stated, heavy batters/doughs slowing it down.

They might have been good machines many years ago, but now they are just cheap crap made to sell at over-inflated prices.

I've had cheap hand mixers that out last and out work any KitchenAid "heavy duty" mixer I've ever used.

The ONLY stand mixer I've ever personally owned is a Sunbeam, and I've yet to have any problems with it. And I only paid $40.00 on sale for my Sunbeam stand mixer!!

b027a427-68a5-4c2a-8c81-3fa648ccf610_1.d3e193e48596ba1d4f56d95e58498167.jpeg

Reaction score
My only experience with Kitchen Aid is an electric hand whisk, and I've never had any problems with it. That being said, I've never used it for heavy dough, I always do that by hand.

Ask a Question