Kitchen Aid Mixer is on it's last legs

Reaction score
My 6-quart KA mixer is dying. I really don't want another KA, they are just not making them like they used to; I don't think they are using Hobart motors these days. My 5-quart is still going stong, and it's 30 years old. What brand mixer do you all recommend for larger than a 5-quart?

Primarily for use to make cakes, cookies, etc. Not using for bread doughs.

Reaction score
If you can afford it, the Globe sp08(bottom) is the one that I have. If not, the Nutrimill Artiste is a good one. The Globe is an8-qt model & theNutrimill Artist has a 6.5-qt. bowl. Both are very good machines!!! :)
My new mixer!!.jpg
Globe SP08 mixer..jpg

Reaction score
Thank you, Linus. The Globe is way out of my price range, I will look into the Artiste.

Reaction score
10qt hobart copy, $489.

or the 15 qt, same price as the 10.

Reaction score
Thank you, Retired Baker! That's a BIG unit for me, but i certainly will check that brand out as well.

Reaction score
Here are a group of 8-qt Avantco mixers that cost under $600, if you can afford one of them! :)

Reaction score
Here are a group of 8-qt Avantco mixers that cost under $600, if you can afford one of them! :)

Thank you! Pricey for me, and a bit bigger than I would need, but I'm willing to consider at this point. : )

Reaction score
Thank you! Pricey for me, and a bit bigger than I would need, but I'm willing to consider at this point. : )

You're welcome! Most things ARE pricey, especially a very good brand. You get what you pay for. I once had a KitchenAid mixer. It lasted for close to 30 years, & when it decided to give up the ghost, I didn't want another KA mixer. I DO have a KA hand-held, which works very well, but since Whirlpool bought out the KA division from Hobart, they began to cheapen the machines, using inferior parts in the machinery of the mixers & that was a turn-off to me!! So I stopped buying KA mixers. I have 2 commecial mixers by Globe & the Nutrimill Artiste mixer. They are very good, & they have stood up to the test of time without batting an eyelash. So you want something that's going to last, & last, & last in order to get your money's worth. I hope that you buy something that will give you many, many years of trouble-free use!! :)

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. I do not want another KA because of what you said - no longer Hobart. I’m 69 so I don’t know how much longer I’ll be baking,LOL. So I have to weigh out the prices. If my hubby ever gets around to it, he is going to try taking my 6 quart non-Hobart apart and replace the parts mentioned. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to break into the piggy bank and get a new machine. Thank you!!!!

Reaction score
My 6-quart KA mixer is dying. I really don't want another KA, they are just not making them like they used to; I don't think they are using Hobart motors these days. My 5-quart is still going stong, and it's 30 years old. What brand mixer do you all recommend for larger than a 5-quart?

Primarily for use to make cakes, cookies, etc. Not using for bread doughs.

Here are three information sources, although two of them require subscriptions. I suspect you could gain access at a public library.

1) Wirecutter.com (a New York Times website) still likes the KitchenAid and notes that Hobart hasn't been in the picture for consumer-oriented mixers since 1986.

2) ConsumerReports.org lists many, many brands, including a slew that I had never previously heard of. Go to consumerreports.org and search on "stand mixer". Or just search on "mixer" and then select "stand mixer".

3) Go to pastrieslikeapro.com (free site) and search on "mixer". There are two articles from 2016, so not exactly current. They both mention a Breville model which is no longer available, but I'm sure a similar model is. Worth reading just to see how she did the analysis.

Reaction score
Here are three information sources, although two of them require subscriptions. I suspect you could gain access at a public library.

1) Wirecutter.com (a New York Times website) still likes the KitchenAid and notes that Hobart hasn't been in the picture for consumer-oriented mixers since 1986.

2) ConsumerReports.org lists many, many brands, including a slew that I had never previously heard of. Go to consumerreports.org and search on "stand mixer". Or just search on "mixer" and then select "stand mixer".

3) Go to pastrieslikeapro.com (free site) and search on "mixer". There are two articles from 2016, so not exactly current. They both mention a Breville model which is no longer available, but I'm sure a similar model is. Worth reading just to see how she did the analysis.

Hobart still makes mixers for the food service industry, but their smallest machine, the 5-qt. N-50 is ridiculously expensive, costing you a whopping $4,000 now!!! You wouldn't want to get that one!! Even if you were to get it used from Ebay, it would cost you about just over $1,000!!! Forget about even getting a 10-qt or a 20-qt machine!! But there ARE some machines that you can get for a reasponable price if you look for them. It just takes time. :)

Reaction score
I also have THIS stand mixer by Cuisinart, which is also very good. It's only about $249.00!! It's very good! You might want to look into it!!
Cuidsinart Stand Mixer..jpg

Reaction score
This is all great information. My husband bought a Kitchen Aid mixer for me almost 20 years ago...probably in his own self interest as much as mine because I bake a LOT! Well, I wore it out and was heartbroken to find that no one repairs them. I got one on Ebay and it is working well but the noise it makes tells me it is probably a refurbished one, although it was advertised as new. I am probably going to have to replace it in a few years, and if I do, these options look promising! I love this forum!

Reaction score
This is all great information. My husband bought a Kitchen Aid mixer for me almost 20 years ago...probably in his own self interest as much as mine because I bake a LOT! Well, I wore it out and was heartbroken to find that no one repairs them. I got one on Ebay and it is working well but the noise it makes tells me it is probably a refurbished one, although it was advertised as new. I am probably going to have to replace it in a few years, and if I do, these options look promising! I love this forum!

IDK how much it'll cost you if you plan to have it fixed,but be aware of that also. Usually, "refurbished KA mixers are resold when they are returned for a cheaper resale, & they almost always are as though they are brand new. It's almost like, you get what you pay for. You're better off getting something entirely new & getting the fully warranty. Sometimes I do that, knowing that the full warranty isn't in effect, but I want it anyway, which has in my case, it turned out to be good. :)

Ask a Question