KitchenAid mixer burning out

Reaction score
I have a KitchenAid stand mixer that is less than 10 years old, and has only been used about twice a year, mostly for pizza dough. Today when making some bread dough, the mixer smelled burnt after about 5 min. I shut it off, and small wisps or smoke came out the side. Why is this doing this? I saw online that 10 minutes was the max it should run for heavy dough, and this was only about half that. does my mixer need repair? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reaction score
I have a KitchenAid stand mixer that is less than 10 years old, and has only been used about twice a year, mostly for pizza dough. Today when making some bread dough, the mixer smelled burnt after about 5 min. I shut it off, and small wisps or smoke came out the side. Why is this doing this? I saw online that 10 minutes was the max it should run for heavy dough, and this was only about half that. does my mixer need repair? Any thoughts? Thanks!

KitchenAids are not designed for heavy dough—period. They are planetary mixers; the mixer head rotates and the bowl is stationary. This requires an extraordinary amount of torque to drag the dough around the bowl. The gear that turn the mixer head is made of nylon. The teeth on the gear get stripped out when heavy dough is mixed in the KitchenAid.

It can be repaired. You can do it yourself. Look up. the videos online. Or take it to a shop.

After you have it repaired, don’t mix anymore heavy doughs in your KitchenAid.

A planetary mixer doesn’t even knead dough. It just wraps the dough around the hood and drags it around the bowl. The dragging generates heat; the heat destroys the yeast.

The only mixer that is suited for yeast dough is a spiral mixer. Both the bowl and the mixer head rotate on a spiral mixer.

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'd dump it & get a much better one of another brand. There are plenty of pebbles on the beach!

Reaction score
If you can afford it, you might be better off getting a commercial mixer. They last longer, are more powerful & give you much better service. :)

Reaction score
The secret is to get a Professional like (any of the lift-bowl) mixer, and then do the proper "modifications" to it. I'm going to post a thread explaining what the issues with the KitchenAid mixers ARE and what you can do to mitigate them. And they're FINE for dough, I use mine almost EXCLUSIVELY for bread and pizza dough. And my Pro 5 Plus powers through it no problem.

Ask a Question