KitchenAid Stand Mixer Dilemma

Which Would You Recommend

• Kitchen Aid Artisan Series

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Kitchen Aid Classic

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My handmixer finally bowed out. So I'm thinking of getting myself a Kitchen Aid.
Now this is a dilemma. I love how the KitchenAid Artisan mixers look but some baking friends recommend I just get the Classic series.
Which would you pick?

Reaction score
You do not select a mixer based on color and look. You do not select a mixer based on what I think or anyone else thinks is a good choice. My needs as a baker are not the same as yours.

A stand mixer is one of your most expensive tools. It's also one of the most important tools in the kitchen.

The mixer you purchase depends on how frequently you bake; what you bake; and the quantities.

The classic has a smaller motor. The bowl capacity is smaller. But that isn't necessarily an issue because you can buy a larger bowl. I own two bowls for my mixer because I require the capacity. In addition to capacity, I frequently bake recipes that require a meringue. The second bowl allows me to mix batter in one bowl, then beat the meringue without having to empty and wash the mixing bowl.

The classic is a good choice when:

1. you bake in frequently

2. primarily make cupcakes, cakes, and cookies

3. bake single batches

Artisan is a good choice when:

1. You bake frequently

2. primarily bake heavy doughs like rolls, bread, and pizza

3. bake multiple batches

Big Bertha, my KitchenAid mixer is so old it is the equivalent of a classic. Yet I bake frequently and big batches.

I have many times eyed the Pro. But every time I walk into my kitchen, see Big Bertha sitting on the counter there's one thing I know in my bones: that machine is the right machine for me and she hasn't let me down in the nearly 20 years she's been working side-by-side with me in the kitchen.

Reaction score
I do not recommend KitchenAid at all.

I've worked in some bakeries that used them, and they broke very easily, the ones with the handles on them to lift and drop the bowl stripped OH SO QUICK AND FAST, and the design just isn't workable for a professional.

KitchenAid is what I would call "craptastic". LOL:p

Also, KitchenAid quality went to pot many years ago. Thats why they make those mixers in SO many colors, otherwise they wouldn't make much money on just selling the mixers. They make their money on selling colors, not quality.

Some of their other gadgets are ok, but their mixers are just abominable. I prefer something more durable and sturdy, like my Sunbeam mixer. I've heard very good things about the Kenwood mixers, but they are out of my price range and I don't see how they are usable, as there really isn't much room for adding things into the bowl while it's mixing. I like a big, open mixer.

Here's what I have.........

b027a427-68a5-4c2a-8c81-3fa648ccf610_1.d3e193e48596ba1d4f56d95e58498167.jpeg

If I still baked, I would DEFINITELY have one of THESE!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have an artisan, it's fabulous. Does everything I need it to do, but I do want to invest in a second bowl so I don't need to clean it in between different mixes.

I'd suggest Norcalbaker59s description is a good one, and tells you most of what you need to know to decide.

In terms of colour... let's be honest, the white machine is horrible and will look ugly with any modern kitchen.

Reaction score
I have an artisan, it's fabulous. Does everything I need it to do, but I do want to invest in a second bowl so I don't need to clean it in between different mixes.

I'd suggest Norcalbaker59s description is a good one, and tells you most of what you need to know to decide.

In terms of colour... let's be honest, the white machine is horrible and will look ugly with any modern kitchen.

Lol, yeah the white one is pretty ugly:eek:

I’ve always wanted a fire engine red one!

Reaction score
I kind of like my white one! My friends, who have a great multi-color tile backsplash in their fab kitchen, have a Muppet-green KA mixer and blender. They always make me smile. I did see on YouTube that people have been known to paint their mixers to update their decor. If I did that, I'd have to go with bright pinkish copper, which I love.

Reaction score
I kind of like my white one! My friends, who have a great multi-color tile backsplash in their fab kitchen, have a Muppet-green KA mixer and blender. They always make me smile. I did see on YouTube that people have been known to paint their mixers to update their decor. If I did that, I'd have to go with bright pinkish copper, which I love.

I think once they introduced an array of colors they became a fashion statement. I bought a black one because it matched the countertop in my kitchen. Turned out to match the countertops in every house I’ve lived in since. So that means kitchen designers are pretty boring. They keep installing the same surfaces in kitchens across America.

A Kermit the Frog green kitchenaid—now that’s totally cool! :cool:

Reaction score
I bought the wife a 6 QT Pro. After it stripped the gears 3 times over 2 years, I'm done with it. I'm buying her a Primo PM-10 to use. It weighs more than she does, and was only $678 with free shipping. https://www.katom.com/163-PM10.html

Wow, what does she use it for that it stripped the gears? Heavy breads?

Overall I'd say I've had good luck with the KitchenAid, but even more so with a not-very-fancy workhorse of a Black and Decker "Power Pro" food processor. I got it on closeout when Service Merchandise closed, so that's somewhere around 1997. The white plastic base housing has yellowed with age, but it's still going strong. I'd love a newer fancier one with options (different blades, a smaller inset for small batches) but I can't justify replacing what works. I have made many a batch of bread dough, pasta dough, etc with it.

Reaction score
I bought the wife a 6 QT Pro. After it stripped the gears 3 times over 2 years, I'm done with it. I'm buying her a Primo PM-10 to use. It weighs more than she does, and was only $678 with free shipping. https://www.katom.com/163-PM10.html

If you need to upgrade to a commercial mixer due to repeatedly stripping the gears, then the KitchenAide home countertop mixer was inappropriately used.

Stripping the gears means frequent use for mixing heavy bread doughs. Cake batter and cookie dough do not create much resistance and require very little mixing. So they aren’t going to strip gears.

KitchenAid is not designed for heavy doughs like bread and roll.

When considering any piece of equipment, you have to first consider what you intend to use it for AND the frequency of the use. Then research equipment that is actually designed and constructed for that task.

A planetary mixer with its stationary bowl is the wrong mixer for bread doughs. The right mixer is a plunging arm mixer or a spiral mixer.

A failure on the consumer’s part to purchase appropriately designed and constructed equipment for the task is not a failing of the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Hi there! Here's my two cents on stand mixers....
I agree that it depends completely on what you want to do with the mixer. KA are super cute, look great on the counter top and in photos, and can do a good job. However, from my many friends who have tried them, they just don't last as long or have the kind of power that's needed (disclaimer: I've never had one, just sharing what friends have told me). I love my Bosch, but they are on the pricier side. However they do have a compact mixer if you want something smaller, plus a section to find refurbished ones on the Bosch Mixers site. I love my Bosch because it has been working for me for years, and handles my huge batches of cookie dough, bread, etc. You can always look and try to find used ones on Craigslist too if you have an even tighter budget. It also might be good to look into Ankarsrum mixers, as I hear they do a good job. Don't get me wrong, KA are really nice mixers! And in some places I see wonderful reviews! But I've personally heard too many stories of them dying out fairly quickly. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The Primo PM-10 is working out well so far. She says it hasn't slowed down on anything yet. I think the heaviest thing she makes are large batches of AR 50% Filipino Siopao dough. I bought it on a Citi card so the factory 1 year labor, 2 year parts is now 3 years labor, 4 years parts. I told her to follow this guide to not overload it: http://vollrath.com/resources/324/T...10003_en_2012-12-14.pdf?resourceType=Resource

Reaction score
I have a fire engine red Kitchen Aid stand mixer - and unfortunately it is not the Artisan level - knowing what I know now I would have gotten that one.

I use it a LOT and I haven't had any trouble yet - knock on wood! I have noticed that it seems to struggle a bit with thicker doughs at low speed but I just turn up the speed a bit and it does fine. This means I have to lower the speed when introducing flour to a mixture until it's beaten in enough to not fly everywhere when I turn the speed back up but so far that has worked.

Now that I've invested in SEVERAL of the attachments - grinder, puree sieve (makes applesauce making a BREEZE) and spiralizer I will probably stick with the KA brand when it comes time to replace but I'll upgrade to the most heavy duty one they have with the biggest bowl - AND get a second bowl! That would be nice! I've had this one for almost 3 + years.

One thing I have heard about KA is that they need to be run frequently or something goes wrong with one of the mechanisms. Like it dries out or something over time from disuse. This is not a problem in my kitchen! LOL

Now, all that being said, I mostly make cakes, cupcakes, cookies - only occasionally do I make bread but I have done so.

I also use my KA to shred meats - hot cooked chicken or even beef/pork roasts can go in piping hot and after a short time of beating with paddle attachment you have perfectly shredded meat! I just put a clean towel over the whole thing while beating to avoid being sprayed with hot bits of meat - that is no fun!

I'm super spoiled because when DH built our kitchen he made me a special cupboard under our island that has a shelf that pulls out and up and fastens in place with the mixer on it. It stays plugged in underneath there, I just pull it out and get started! SO nice not to have to move it around or have it live on the counter all the time. Even though it is pretty :D

Reaction score
I also use my KA to shred meats - hot cooked chicken or even beef/pork roasts can go in piping hot and after a short time of beating with paddle attachment you have perfectly shredded meat!
I just started doing this last week, and it's the perfect way to shred chicken! Much better than using a fork, which I found to be really tricky

Reaction score
Orange kitchenaid hand-held mixer..jpg

When I don't feel like dragging out one of my heavy mixers, I reach for this one for light mixing. :)

Reaction score
Generally, I don't like KA since Whirlpool took over the division. They've cheapened the mixers
7 began using cheap parts to make them. If you remember, Hobart had only two models & those ran like an Army tank!! Over the years, Whirlpool had made tons of them. They looked very good, but looks don't get it when you're looking for quality. Which is why I've switched to Globe commercial mixers. The KA hand-held mixer is very good. I like that one, & it is very quiet. But as for the stand mixers, they are all crap!! Buy quality once or buy junk forever!! :mad:

Reaction score
That is why I bought these two mixers. They are made with quality!!
SP5.png
sp08.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've read in some of the reviews on Amazon that the mixers that were returned to whirlpool broken were coming back as new or refurbished, meaning that once they were broken, now some of them are put back to be bought as being so-called 'new', they are actually also used. Customers have said that they looked used because they had some old cake batter & whatever else is on them.

Yet another reason NOT to buy a KA mixer!!! :mad:

Reaction score
I've read in some of the reviews on Amazon that the mixers that were returned to whirlpool broken were coming back as new or refurbished, meaning that once they were broken, now some of them are put back to be bought as being so-called 'new', they are actually also used. Customers have said that they looked used because they had some old cake batter & whatever else is on them.

Yet another reason NOT to buy a KA mixer!!! :mad:

there’s a lot of third-party retailers that are selling stuff on Amazon. And a lot of brand name stuff you buy on Amazon is mostly counterfeit. Their counterfeit problem is so bad that Amazon finally had to inform their investors that they could not control the counterfeit problem. And in fact their counterfeit problem is so bad that Amazon now is getting out of the business of being a retailer because they’re being stuck with the cost of replacing the counterfeit items. Amazon used to buy directly from manufacturers and then resell. Last year they just abruptly stopped buying from thousands of companies. And told them that if they wanted to continue to do business on Amazon that they would have to sell directly to the customers.

if you look at the price of goods on Amazon and then you go to the retailer’s site you’ll see the goods on Amazon are always cheaper. And the reason being is the goods on Amazon or counterfeit. it’s gotten so bad that a lot of manufacturers like ThermoWorks The manufactures of high in thermometers will not honor a warranty on any thermometer that is purchased on Amazon.

KitchenAid does not re-package and sell returned mixers is new. KitchenAid has refurbished mixers on their own website. if a retailer has their own site there is no reason to go to Amazon and get ripped off with a counterfeit. If the retailer has an Amazon store, then they will link it on their site so Amazon prime members can take advantage of prime benefits.

I own two KitchenAid mixers. One is 20 yrs old. I haven’t had a problem with either mixer. And I guarantee I bake way more than the average person. The issue people have with mixers is they buy the wrong mixer for the job. Planetary countertop mixers are not designed for mixing heavy doughs. The dough is not even kneaded. The dough ends up wrapped around the dough hook because the bowl is stationary. It just gets dragged against the bowl. It never gets kneaded at all. That dragging just creates heat in the dough, which takes the dough beyond DDT. All the ruining the gear as it requires a lot of torque in the to drag that the dough hook and ball of dough around the bowl.

If people want to mix a lot of bread and pizza dough they should buy a spiral mixer. Spiral mixers actually move the dough ball as the bowl and the mixer both rotate. This action produces less friction, which creates less heat. And the mixer doesn’t take a beating. It’s not that kitchenaid is a junky mixer, it people are buying the wrong mixer for the wrong job.

Ask a Question