Perfecting Kneading Techniques for Bread Dough

Reaction score
Hi, request help/tips...
As simple as it is, i don't know when my dough (bread dough) is properly kneaded (using yeast, making flat bread for practice)...
I tried the window pain test, but even if i over-knead the dough, i still can form a window pane it seems
and i've discovered that if I allow the dough to rest (even dough scraps lumped together), it too will give way under the rolling pin ( becomes flexible and can roll out easily enough). so how do i really do the window pane test, or how can i know i've kneaded for long enough and i should stop?

I do this self assigned drill: make little dough balls for test practice. each a bit bigger than a golf ball (b4 it's proofed) . cook on cast iron pan.

anyways, hope to get better

Reaction score
Where (what country or region) are you located? Which flour brand, type and grade do you use? What is your recipe?

I use 66% hydration with Caputo Tipo 00 and Semolina Rimacinata flours in the US and use 100 slap-folds (French folds) for kneading. It results in a consistently smooth and elastic dough.

Ima

Reaction score
I have found that 10 minutes of kneading in the Kenweood standmixer low speed works best.

Ask a Question