Lactation Cookies

Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone had any experience making these kinds of cookies. Usually, they're made with oats, flaxseed, fennel, hops and fenugreek-- doesn't sound very delicious, but butter and chocolate fix everything. I want to mix up a batch of my own for when baby arrives, but we don't have an oven at the moment, so I'm wondering how to get around that. I could make a no-bake cream cake, but that's only one way. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Reaction score
I have never made those type of cookies before but agree that they sound very healthy and raisins or chocolate would be my choice to sweeten. Most recipe's use a heavy saucepan to bring the ingredients to a boil. Boil for 1 minute or so until the sugar is melted, then add your oats and flaxseed, vanilla, etc. On a sheet of waxed paper, drop mixture by teaspoon full and then let cool until hardened. I'm sure this method would work with the Lactation cookies as well. Happy Lactating! :)

Reaction score
That sounds like a great solution! Which ingredients would I boil, aside from sugar?

I had resigned myself to some sort of refrigerator cake: boil the oats and maybe the flaxseed, let it cool a little bit then stir in some brown sugar and butter (and raisins, yum!) to taste. Spoon into a tray, chill to harden then cover with some sort of custard mixture.

When I put it that way, it actually doesn't sound like a lactation anything, haha. I may need to do a bit more research on that.

Reaction score
One recipe has you boil the first 4 ingredients: 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 2 Cups sugar, 1/2Cup Milk, and 4 TBS cocoa. Then you boil it until sugar is melted, remove from heat and add 1/2 c. peanut butter. 2 tsp. vanilla, 3 to 3.5 cups quick cooking oats. You mix and then drop onto wax paper. I would think you could add in the lactation ingredients like the seeds in the end when you add the oats, or possible before the oats with the wet ingredients. You've got me thinking I need to make these, they sound great! I haven't made refrigerator cookies in awhile, but I just downloaded an e-book on refrigerator desserts and I have some new options I can try. Most of them are jello based though.

Reaction score
Sounds perfect; no eggs, no flour, no fuss ;) I'll mix up a batch as soon as possible and post a picture.

I could even make granola bars from this mix, I think. I could bring some to the hospital to munch on while in labor!

Reaction score
How much longer do you have if you don't mind us asking? If there are any other recipe's and help tips you are looking for please let us know and we will begin researching for you. Maybe we'll start a new thread in your honor! I wish you all the best and am looking forward to seeing those photos of the bars and the baby! :)

Reaction score
I'll be giving birth this June. My husband and I are very excited :) I've always known that I wanted to be a mom and I want to give him or her the best start so my choice is to have everything as natural as possible. Any mommy tips to go with those recipes would be great as well!

Reaction score
Congratulations! I will send anything I can find your way. The Malagasy people eat dried tiny shrimps and that has vitamin's in it that help with lactation. Wikihow confirmed shrimp as a good source of vitamins as well as listed some other things that would be helpful for an expecting mother: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Breast-Milk-More-Nutritious We are sure this new experience will provide the forum with lots of good recipe's!

Reaction score
I have tried lactation cookies before and they are actually really delicious and work! I added dried cranberries and dark chocolate chunks. In fact, I need to whip up another batch. I just had my little one too! Congratulations!

Ask a Question