Lactose Intolerant Cupcake w/ Filling Recipes?

Reaction score
Does anybody have any recipes for cream (or any other type) or filled cupcakes that cater to those who can't consume dairy? I want to make some for my fiance's uncle, but he can't have any dairy products. Or does anyone have any ideas on how to convert other recipes that require the use of dairy products? As you can probably tell, I'm a novice baker...Which is why I need help! Lol I could always ask my fiance since he's the chef of the household, but I don't wanna give him the gratification! ;) Teehee Just kidding...Kind of!

Reaction score
If the recipe calls for whipped cream you could substitute coconut milk for the heavy whipping cream.

Reaction score
I know this is a really old thread... so this is kind of a dead thread resurrection....

I will state from the word go that I am allergic to dairy - as in fatally allergic to dairy, all forms of dairy in any form, cooked or uncooked, even components of dairy in things...

I would never suggest changing heavy whipping cream for coconut milk. It will completely change the flavour.

I would suggest one of 2 things that would work. Oat Cream is excellent for substituting for whipping cream with it having a really light, thick fluffy texture. But not for cooking with, just as is on the plate type of substitution. You can buy this in a small container. I guess you could try making it but I never had done. I prefer cashew nut cream

Making your own is the best option. Get some cashew nuts - practice will tell you how much you need for what you want, but start with half a cup. Now soak them overnight, if you have less time, then soak them for 2 hours but start with boiling water and lots of it to keep the heat in. You want to get them to absorb water.
Now drain the soaked cashew nuts. Feel free to eat one, its not going to hurt you. You will tell the difference immediately in texture. If you can't they have not soaked for long enough. You need a blender or liquidiser. A food processor will do at a push but it is not as good. A coffee grinder is an alternative for really small quantities...
Put the soaked cashews in the blender and add a touch of water. If you need really thick cream, then you need to use as little as possible water. If your recipe has milk in it, and everything is going in together, then use the milk, it will help. Add water until the cream is made. Simple. The more water you add, the thinner your cream. You will find it has virtually no taste and will not affect the flavour at all.

• Sour cream - can be made by adding lemon juice to this mixture and it really does take on a sour cream taste.
  • Lemon cream - add more lemon juice and some fine or superfine sugar to taste. You could even add some lemon zest as well.
  • Orange cream - as above but with oranges.
  • Vanilla cream - just add seeds from a vanilla pods or a few drops of good quality vanilla essence.
  • Chocolate Cream - you need dark chocolate that is dairy free, most is but not all so do check and you will need fine or super fine sugar to taste. Melt the chocolate into the cashew nut cream and add the sugar (quickly) to taste.
  • Strawberry cream - add a few strawberries and some sugar to the blender when you make the cashew nut cream...
  • and so on...

Ask a Question