large batch cookies & freezing dough?

Reaction score
I am not a professional baker but enjoy it. My daughter is volunteering with our local homeless shelter in December and would like to provide cookie trays. We are looking for delicious cookie recipes that make a lot and I can make in advance and freeze, baking the dough when she needs it. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :) That's a lovely idea. Just so I understand, are you looking to freeze the dough or the baked cookies?

Reaction score
Thank you!

We would like to be able to freeze the dough in scooped balls and take out and bake before needed so we can get a head start on them.

Reaction score
Ok that sounds good. To be honest cookie dough tends to lend itself very well to being frozen, so that shouldn't narrow things down at all. I'd avoid anything that is fiddly or fussy (eg having to chop a large amount of nuts, or zest lots of oranges, etc.) and any common allergens (eg nuts), and maybe go for something that is widely liked such as choc chip cookies. @Norcalbaker59 recently gave some good advice about the logistics of freezing cookies here: https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/traveling-with-cookie-dough.5272/

When it comes to a recipe suggestion, this is my favourite one that I've tried: https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/best-millies-cookies-recipe.3512/

...but I haven't tried many American recipes. Stella Parks (she's also on Serious Eats) is always great for this kind of stuff, and I've heard good things about Dorie Greenspan's recipes too.

Ask a Question