Last minute baking?

Reaction score
What are your go-to things when you have to do last minute baking? Perhaps you got word that some guests are due to turn up in an hour, or your friend invites you around for dinner and tells you to bring dessert?

Are there any recipes you have that are your tried and true favorites for occasions like those? I'm needing to add some last minute things to my repertoire that don't take forever to make, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Reaction score
Friends who turn up expect food from and not desserts. I would now have to spread the word that I am getting better at baking. Still, if someone did insist, I'd run and pick up some from the supermarket but seriously would make some scones or rock cakes in that order.

Reaction score
My definitely go-to is my lemon brownies...the ingredients are so simple and I almost always have them on hand. The only ones that I might not have with me immediately are lemons but I live like 3 blocks from Trader Joe's so it's not a big deal for me to just hop on over there and grab some lemons.

That, or my chocolate chip cookies :)

Reaction score
Friends who turn up expect food from and not desserts. I would now have to spread the word that I am getting better at baking. Still, if someone did insist, I'd run and pick up some from the supermarket but seriously would make some scones or rock cakes in that order.

O.k., what are rock cakes? I know what scones are, at least the U.S. variation of them, and love them, but I've never heard of rock cakes, and now I'm curious :).

Reaction score
I would do cookies if I was going to bake something because after making the batter, each batch only requires about 11 minutes in the oven. You could have 2 or 3 batches ready by the time guests arrive.

Reaction score
O.k., what are rock cakes? I know what scones are, at least the U.S. variation of them, and love them, but I've never heard of rock cakes, and now I'm curious :).
P1259774.jpg

These ones look good. There are the simplest things to make and when you start to eat them you don't stop. I suppose they are supposed to be hard and hence the name.
http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/rockckaes.htm I can't even remember if this is the recipe I used but it's close enough.
Her

Reaction score
P1259774.jpg

These ones look good. There are the simplest things to make and when you start to eat them you don't stop. I suppose they are supposed to be hard and hence the name.
http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/rockckaes.htm I can't even remember if this is the recipe I used but it's close enough.
Her

Wow, they look like a combination of American scones, and Bisquick drop biscuits. I like the idea of the mixed dried fruit and currants. I had to look up the spice mix, here's how to make it, in case anyone needs that: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/181605/mixed-spice and here's some information on Demerara Sugar, for those unaware: Demerara sugar is a large-grained, somewhat crunchy, raw sugar with origins in Guyana (a colony formerly called Demerara).

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/what-is-demerara-sugar.html#ixzz3mer3DKr8

Reaction score
Diane Lane, you did some great research. My girlfriend would always produce these rock cakes whenever she had guest and when I started to eat them I had trouble stopping. The same thing with fish cakes. Sometimes she'd joke about the burnt ones but even those I would pick at. Then when I joined the forum and got into more baking I thought I'd give them a try as I am always about something quick and easy and sure enough, they are impossible to spoil.

Thanks for your research. I figured the sugar had something to do with Guyana but I had never researched it.

Reaction score
Diane Lane, you did some great research. My girlfriend would always produce these rock cakes whenever she had guest and when I started to eat them I had trouble stopping. The same thing with fish cakes. Sometimes she'd joke about the burnt ones but even those I would pick at. Then when I joined the forum and got into more baking I thought I'd give them a try as I am always about something quick and easy and sure enough, they are impossible to spoil.

Thanks for your research. I figured the sugar had something to do with Guyana but I had never researched it.

@Winterybella An old friend is from Guyana, and I can't remember if she's ever mentioned rock cakes, but it's been a while since we've spoken, and I'll try to remember to ask her when we get in touch. I looked them up because I was curious. Demerara sugar sounded familiar. I've probably seen it back home, but ethnic type items aren't as easy to find here, unless they're from certain regions. They sound like the perfect, I love quick and easy projects!

Reaction score
@Winterybella An old friend is from Guyana, and I can't remember if she's ever mentioned rock cakes, but it's been a while since we've spoken, and I'll try to remember to ask her when we get in touch. I looked them up because I was curious. Demerara sugar sounded familiar. I've probably seen it back home, but ethnic type items aren't as easy to find here, unless they're from certain regions. They sound like the perfect, I love quick and easy projects!
I want so badly to make some, but I am trying hard to stay away from the sugar and flour for a while. I need to lose some pounds and I won't go and check on my blood sugar which makes me even more afraid. Every weekend I say I am going to make them and maybe I could as my husband likes them and would probably eat all if I tell him it's okay. I don't make a large amount all at once. About the Demerara sugar, I have seen it in the supermarket and have a few Guyanese acquaintances as well. U don't think I have bought it. Before joining the forum I hardly bought sugar.

Reaction score
Pie... if i need a quick desert I just prepare a no bake pie and that's it. I love the no bake pies because they are so quick to prepare and you don't even need to use the oven (I hate using mine, it's so hard to turn it on!). I'd have said lemon desert, but that one takes a whole night to get soft and nice enough...

Reaction score
If I had guests coming right away in our house and for the last minute I always make a no bake cream cheesecake either blueberry or strawberry. I have no time to bake anymore for that span of time and this is what I am always doing. I am more focus on the main dishes. Somehow the cheesecake firm easily in the refrigerator and will be okay to serve just after the main meal. That is why I see to it that I had always a stock of the ingredients for my cheesecake so that it is already available when I need it.

Reaction score
I don't know if you would call this last minute baking but I was craving some sort of baked item and at the last minute on Sunday night I decided I couldn't take it anymore and baked my whole wheat scones. So on this occasion I was the guest I showed up and was quite happy. My son finally tried one and thought it was 'not bad' according to him.

Ask a Question