Leek and Mushroom Quiche or Tart

Discussion in 'Savory' started by Zyni, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

The recipe calls it a tart, but to me it could also be considered a quiche (I tend to think of most "egg pie" type things as quiche, so don't necessarily listen to me... I don't know the strict definition, I just go with what sticks).

Anyway, it sounds good to me,, and I can think of lots of yummy additions and variations as well.

Does this sound good to you?

http://www.frugalfoodiefamily.com/2011/12/23/leek-and-mushroom-tart/

Zyni, Sep 28, 2016
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Zyni

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

Dang it, it sounds yummy to me, but I usually have a reaction to both mushrooms and any type of onions. I think maybe they're calling this a tart because it's made in a tart pan, although of course it's very similar to a quiche. I have both, and mainly use the quiche pan for everything. I'm not an expert on pans, but speaking from the ones I have, the quiche pan is a little deeper and the edges are more scalloped than closely folded like a fan, the way the pan shown in the recipe's picture is. My quiche pan is easier to clean, which is probably why I default to it.

Diane Lane, Sep 29, 2016
    Zyni likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

I'm all for whatever is easier to clean, ha ha. I hear ya on that. I just use a glass pie plate for quiche, but it tends to be my "go to" because it's a little deeper. My tart pan feels too small (though I realize it's the size it's supposed to be). When I make quiche, I consider it more of an entree, so I want the bigger pan.

Zyni, Sep 29, 2016
  4. Zyni

Mara Well-Known Member

It's quite a common vegetarian combination. Another idea is to use spinach in addition to leeks, or asparagus instead of leeks. I always find caramelized onions do well on the top of quiches, as it adds flavor and also looks good.

Mara, Sep 29, 2016
  5. Zyni

rz3300 Well-Known Member

This one is definitely outside of my usual dishes in the routine, but I have to say that it is intriguing to me, but I am not sure why. I am still fifty fifty on my love for mushrooms, and it really depends on the texture, so if I can get that right here I can see a nice little dish to work in.

rz3300, Sep 30, 2016
  6. Zyni

Kelly1 Member

Wow! It sounds yummy to me

Kelly1, Sep 30, 2016
  7. Zyni

cupcakechef Well-Known Member

I'm actually weird in that I don't like quiche - because I don't like eggs, all that much (unless they're baked into a dessert and you can't tell there is egg in there, though!)

I do sometimes wish I liked it more - I hear of loads of yummy combinations for quiches, like sundried tomato and olive...that sounds yum!

cupcakechef, Oct 1, 2016
  8. Zyni

Corzhens Well-Known Member

That's the problem with a vegetarian recipe, they either have onions or leeks which I don't like. Pardon me for this comment. But with mushroom, it's okay with me. In fact, I love the mushroom burger in one restaurant in the province, that's the only mushroom burger store that I know. It may be a tart or a quiche or a pie but we call it empanada especially when the crust is brown and somewhat crunchy.

Corzhens, Oct 2, 2016
  9. Zyni

Zyni Well-Known Member

No problem. You like what you like. :) I'm sure you could make this using just the mushroom or adding other things that you enjoy. You could probably even add some meat, if desired. I don't see why not.

Mushroom empanada? Sounds good to me.

Zyni, Oct 3, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question