Why does lemon glaze disappear on my cookies?

Reaction score
I tried a few recipes off the web of lemon glaze. My issue is that "their" pics show the glaze as white on their cookies, but disappears in real life on mine. Flavor is there but you can't see it, not white.

Here is what I tried recipe wise.

1 cup confectioner sugar
1 T lemon juice (more can be added due to preference)
1 tsp. lemon zest

Glaze

Whisk together sugar, lemon juice and zest in small bowl. Drizzle over warm cookies or dip tops.

Why does the white disappear on mine?

Reaction score
I think because the cookies are warm and it melts the glaze. Normally when you glaze a cake or cookies, and it's warm, the glaze will turn clear like it does on glazed doughnuts. If you wait until it's completely cool, it should remain white. Or, if all else fails, glaze twice, one when warm to seal in the moisture, and a second glaze for show when it's cold?

Reaction score
I think because the cookies are warm and it melts the glaze. Normally when you glaze a cake or cookies, and it's warm, the glaze will turn clear like it does on glazed doughnuts. If you wait until it's completely cool, it should remain white. Or, if all else fails, glaze twice, one when warm to seal in the moisture, and a second glaze for show when it's cold?

Reaction score
Last time I made these (awhile ago) I did let the cookies cool, and that is why I don't understand why mine don't have the white glaze like photos on the web. Should I chill the glaze?

Reaction score
Last time I made these (awhile ago) I did let the cookies cool, and that is why I don't understand why mine don't have the white glaze like photos on the web. Should I chill the glaze?

It could just be the consistency. Sometimes even made exact to the recipe, with a powdered sugar glaze, it can come out a little too thick or thin. You could try adding a little more powdered sugar? You'd want it pourable but not too runny I think.

I found one that you actually heat up before pouring on a bundt cake. Of course, the heating is going to change the consistency and make it set up firmer. https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/how-to-make-a-lemon-icing-glaze/

Reaction score
I'd start with just adding a little more powdered sugar. The thicker it is the more likely it will set up white.

Ask a Question