Lemon Meringue Pie

Reaction score
This is a failsafe version of the lemon meringue pie. I have never had it fail on me, not once even when I was learning to make it and well, it has never failed.

Ingredients (serves 6)
12oz ready-made shortcrust pastry
grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
4 tbsp. cornflour (corn starch)
300ml/1/2 pt of water
salt
8oz caste sugar (fine sugar(
1 tbsp. butter, softened
4 eggs, separated

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 190C /375F or Gas 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a deep 23cm/9inch pie dish. Price the base with a fork and chill for 15 minutes
  • Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes until lightly browned at the edges. Remove the paper and beans and leave to cool.
  • Blend together the lemon juice and cornflour to a paste in a pan. Stir in the water, a pinch of salt and half the sugar and bring the mixture to the boil slowly, whisking all the time until thick and clear. remove from the heat, whisk in the butter and then leave to cool slightly.
  • Increase the oven temperature to 200C/400F/ Gas 6. Beat the egg yolks into the lemon mixture and pour into the pastry case.
  • Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, then whisk in the remaining sugar and a pinch of salt. Completely cover the lemon filling with the meringue and fork into soft peaks.
  • Make for about 15 minutes until the meringue is set and browned.
All done.

Reaction score
Lemon meringue pie is definitely my favorite pie. I like it tart myself, so I might reduce the sugar a bit, as I do with almost everything I make. Something about meringue is just so special, and I especially love when it's piled up and makes the pie look huge.

Reaction score
I shall be making it tomorrow, or my OH will be. Not sure who yet but it is on the weekly food list as the weekend treat! (she says eating a chocolate chip scone).
I too will probably drop the sugar content in the lemon curd itself, but keep it as is in the meringue.

Reaction score
If there was a way to make lemon meringue pie without the meringue, I would be a happy camper. I have never been fond of meringue, just has a bad texture to me. I have had lemon cream pies that are out of this world though.

Reaction score
If there was a way to make lemon meringue pie without the meringue, I would be a happy camper. I have never been fond of meringue, just has a bad texture to me. I have had lemon cream pies that are out of this world though.
This is not a hard meringue, but a soft one. I can't explain it, but it is not that of those awful biscuit desperately sweet hard things that you pipe cream into and serve to children to make them hyper. It is a soft, gentle, refined adult meringue and is totally different. You just have to try it to understand.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about my Grandmother's lemon meringue pie. I'll have to remember to pick up a shortbread crust, so I can try making this soon.

Reaction score
Lemon meringue pie has been a long time favorite of mine when I'm at a cafe and wanting a nice dessert - but I've never made it myself. For some reason the meringue side of things always intimidated me, I have never made meringue before and always thought it would be super complex. Glad to hear this one is a failsafe recipe - those are the ones I love having in my repertoire! Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Lemon meringue pie has been a long time favorite of mine when I'm at a cafe and wanting a nice dessert - but I've never made it myself. For some reason the meringue side of things always intimidated me, I have never made meringue before and always thought it would be super complex. Glad to hear this one is a failsafe recipe - those are the ones I love having in my repertoire! Thanks for sharing!

Meringue used to intimidate me, then I found out that I was doing it all wrong. It comes out best in a clean glass or copper bowl. There can't be any trace of butter or grease in the bowl or on the beaters, or it won't turn out the way it should.

Reaction score
Meringue used to intimidate me, then I found out that I was doing it all wrong. It comes out best in a clean glass or copper bowl. There can't be any trace of butter or grease in the bowl or on the beaters, or it won't turn out the way it should.

That's a useful tip and something I hadn't actually considered - so thank you for sharing! I'll be even less intimidated if I know those sort of secrets that will make it easier for success!

Reaction score
That's a useful tip and something I hadn't actually considered - so thank you for sharing! I'll be even less intimidated if I know those sort of secrets that will make it easier for success!

You're welcome. I have some large plastic mixing bowls I've had and used for years, since I'm clumsy, and meringue never turned out well in those. It's the same with royal icing, any trace of grease/butter will ruin it, whether from the bowl or beaters, so I use the glass or copper (stainless might work, as well) bowls now.

Reaction score
I can't believe I hadn't seen this one before! I am so definitely going ot add it to my list of baked good to try! I love pies! Lemon meringue pie is something that I haven't dared to make, mostly because of the meringue, but I am feeling a bit daring ;) I will try it next year in the new home.

Reaction score
I used to be very intimidated by meringue. So much so, that I would make lemon pies with another topping. I need to look for that recipe to post here, in case anyone wants to try it, because it's fabulously delicious, but to me, that topping was a bit sweet for the lemon pies. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong with regard to the meringue, I was able to rectify my mistake and now my lemon meringue pies come out yummy.

Reaction score
I used to be very intimidated by meringue. So much so, that I would make lemon pies with another topping. I need to look for that recipe to post here, in case anyone wants to try it, because it's fabulously delicious, but to me, that topping was a bit sweet for the lemon pies. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong with regard to the meringue, I was able to rectify my mistake and now my lemon meringue pies come out yummy.

Nice, was it all about the speed of the mixer or the amolunt of time you used? Just curious :) My mom likes to eat something named chiles rellenos, they look like this:

FNK_Chiles-Rellenos_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

You need to get the white eggs to a meringue-like consistency in order to coat said chillies and cook them :) Not many people can get the consistency of the egg whites right tho, specially me :p

Ask a Question