Lemon Squares

Reaction score
I am a novice baker and i would to try to make what we call in Rhode Island as Lemon Squares. They are basically a Lemon filling with a Top and Bottom flaky crust. I don't have a recipe or a technique on how to do this meaning adding the top crust. Most recipes i have found were just with a bottom crust?

Reaction score
I am a novice baker and i would to try to make what we call in Rhode Island as Lemon Squares. They are basically a Lemon filling with a Top and Bottom flaky crust. I don't have a recipe or a technique on how to do this meaning adding the top crust. Most recipes i have found were just with a bottom crust?

Look up Cindy Salvato lemon squares.

Personally I don't care for tradition lemon bar/square fill. I use Pierre Hermes’ lemon “curd” as filling. I put “curd” in quotes because it isn’t made in the traditional curd method in which the ingredients are cooked together. Hermes beats the butter in after cooking the egg mixture. The result is a creamy smooth lemon cream to die for.

Pierre Hermes lemon tart adapted by Dorie Greenspan

This is made with Myers lemons using Pierre Hermes’ method. Meyers lemons are a hybrid cross between citron and Mandarin orange. It is a wonderfully sweet lemon; smaller in size than common lemons with a orange colored rind.

IMG_3948.jpeg

Reaction score
I worked in RI many decades ago,
its regular pie dough, blind bake the base til half baked.
They roll and put the dough in a tray and use a second tray on top to press it down. use something to weight it down, like an old cup or plate.

The filling they use is from a bucket , you can use canned filling, it tastes the same.
pie dough for top, roll it up on a 1 inch dowel and unroll over the filling.
eggwash, score the pattern with a fork and bake 30 minutes at 350.

try doing it in small alum foil oblong trays, 4x7 inch, it makes it easier to handle the dough.
The pie dough is just crisco recipe on every can of crisco .

Ask a Question