Lemon vs. lime in cake recipe

Reaction score
I may be overthinking this but...

I have a lemon cake with lemon frosting recipe that gives me a great crumb.
But I prefer the taste of lime over lemon. It turns out that lemons are 1% more acidic per gram than limes. If I sub in the same amount of lime juice and zest for the lemon, will that one percent difference noticeably change the texture once baked?

Reaction score
Try it and see. The financial impact probably would not be devastating. It's only flour, sugar, eggs, and butter or oil. Then report back. If there's a big difference, that would be a good thing to know. :)

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding.You have a good point. I will do exactly that.

Reaction score
So I finally got around to turning my lemon cake into lime cake. There was no change in structure. But unexpectedly the cake maintained that structure a day longer than when made with lemon juice. What I mean is that it didn't go mushy directly underneath the glaze as quickly when using the lime.

Loved the taste as a bonus. So pleased I intend to experiment with orange next, as I have never found a great tasting orange cake.

Ask a Question