Let kids cook for the animals!

Reaction score
Something I frequently did with kids was let them cook for the animals.

For example, we would make bird food bricks for the birds. We'd put peanut butter and bird seed on pine cones for the birds and squirrels. I would let them mix and need the dough for the dog treats....and then cut them into lots of different shapes and bake them. There were also quite interested in pouring all the ingredients together for when we made dog food.

The great thing about baking for animals is that it's really, really hard to mess it up. It's okay if some gets dropped on the floor or if there's not enough seasoning, etc. If the treats turn out messy or ugly, it doesn't matter!

Reaction score
That's a really cute idea. I might look up some dog biscuit recipes and see if I can get my daughter on board with making treats for the dog.

Reaction score
This is an awesome idea. I'm sure there are lots of dog treat recipes out there! I'll definitely be doing this with my kids.

Reaction score
Do you guys know any dog birthday cake recipes that taste good to dogs?
My friend is making a cake for people on her dog's birthday, but it's chocolate, so the dog won't get to have any. I think it would be nice to bring a cake for the dog.

Reaction score
Well recently I baked some treats for my dogs and my huśband ate one or two thinking it was me experimenting. I say that to say sometimes even with bakińg with the kids it might still be good not include what falls on the floor. You never know which human might be waiting in the wings:).

Still, I think it is an EXCELLENT idea.

Reaction score
Hahaha! I can see my husband or kids doing the same thing, Bella. I save certain scraps for my daughter's dogs, and I always have to be careful to label the container DOGS. I filled an old ice cream bucket with "dog stew" once, and my husband was like what's in the bucket. Um... nothing you want to eat honey. lol.

I have made bird food crafts and a couple of dog treats in the past, but we no longer have any pets, and don't get much chance to watch the birds (the neighbors have cats and I don't want to lure the birds near them).

Reaction score
I always thought it was silly to bake for your pets. Then saw the over priced doggy goodies they sell at the pet shop and how much all the pet love them . This is a good way to save money and a gift that pet lover can not get enough of.

Reaction score
The great thing about baking for animals is that it's really, really hard to mess it up. It's okay if some gets dropped on the floor or if there's not enough seasoning, etc. If the treats turn out messy or ugly, it doesn't matter!

And if someone does mess up, luckily animals can't talk and start complaining ;) Hahahah! But seriously, this sounds like a great thing to try with kids who are just starting out. A really good idea :) I might try it with my niece in the future, just to start her on this, because if she is like her mom... well, she might not learn to cook until she is in her late 20's, lol.

Ask a Question