Letting Go Of Stuff

Reaction score
So, it's a new year and I lost my dream apartment 3 weeks ago. But my last issue of Real Simple magazine got forwarded to me and the cover topic is letting go of clutter for the new year.
I just dropped off a couple of bags of stuff at Goodwill that I don't want to move again.
Are any of you guys decluttering at this time of year? I feel at least a little lighter and now I'm wondering what else I can donate.

Reaction score
Last night, I got rid of some "projects". As an artist and crafter, sometimes I buy or acquire things that I think I can paint or make into something else.
I had a whole box of picture frames that I never got around to painting, so I dropped them off at Goodwill. I had a couple of years to paint them and I didn't , so someone else will enjoy them now.

Reaction score
I am sure some happy thrift store hunter will love the picture frames that you got rid of. I was just thinking about donating some old scrapbook items that I don't want anymore if I can't get them sold on Ebay. I always try to sell my unwanted items first to see if I can recoup the money I invested into them. If my listings don't sell, then the final resting place is my local thrift store. I do plan on decluttering a little this year. We moved into a house from an apartment 3 years ago and we are just getting overran by things now.

Reaction score
I definitely am. I try to de-clutter year round so I don't have to exhaust myself and do it in one swoop, but New Year/Spring Cleaning is definitely when I do it.

My general rule of thumb with things is that if I know I won't use it in 3 years, it's getting donated unless it has huge sentimental value. And with clothes I'll try it on and if I know I won't be able to wear it (too big, too small, fuzzy, icky looking) I'll donate that too.

Also, when I go clothes shopping, I always do a 1-to-1 exchange. If I bring back 1 new shirt, I HAVE to get rid of an old shirt that I have. That way I'm not necessary "de-cluttering", but I'm just not adding things to my possession.

Reaction score
What you did is such lovely thing - the enjoyment that someone else will get from the things you've donated is really heart-warming.

I have periods in my life where I feel like getting rid of hoards of stuff, but I almost always end up holding back on letting go of it. What you said about having the picture frames for a couple of years and not using them, is a good starting point. I do that with clothes. I know I should do it with other stuff too, and maybe I will start with the huge amount of books and unused kitchen gadgets I have cluttering up my house.

Reaction score
I find it difficult to let go of stuff because of an 'I might need it later' complex or simply because I might have formed some sort of weird attachment to it. A lot of the stuff that I collect are books or expensive memorabilia too, so it doesn't feel like clutter as such and I like to be surrounded by stuff that means something to me. I might de-clutter every so often, but it's more like old clothes and things that don't fit me any more so there's no point to keeping it. I am desperately running low on room though. I have books piled up over the floor because I don't know where to put them, lol.

Reaction score
I have really started to think hard about the things I buy before I get them now. If I do not see myself using it a year from now, I try not to buy it. Longevity will save me money in the long run and less trips to the donation bins.

Reaction score
I like to declutter. I think maybe it was because my parents kept everything. Some of that I think is because they both grew up with little so they held on to what they had. I feel good when I declutter - so freeing! LOL! But I am also try to really think before I buy too! That is hard sometimes because I also love to shop. I have to keep my daughter from buying things so that also helps me to think things through and only get what I need - not just what I want. I get stressed out if there is a lot of clutter in my house - so I guess that helps keep me on an even keel.

My daughter is kind of funny though - she likes me to help her declutter her room. It is amazing what you can find in drawers, etc when you haven't looked in them for a while. ;-)

Reaction score
In the past, I've sold my unwanted items on eBay, but in the case of my picture frames, the cost of shipping them would not have been worth it.

I've sold big things, like furniture on Craigslist so that's a good option for things that are way too big to mail.

Reaction score
I am always scared to look in my daughter's drawers, but I am always amazed at the things I find in there and how she can get so much crammed in.

Reaction score
So, it's a new year and I lost my dream apartment 3 weeks ago. But my last issue of Real Simple magazine got forwarded to me and the cover topic is letting go of clutter for the new year.
I just dropped off a couple of bags of stuff at Goodwill that I don't want to move again.
Are any of you guys decluttering at this time of year? I feel at least a little lighter and now I'm wondering what else I can donate.

I want to but I am in slow, slow mode. I am here wishing I could get started. I feel like it's going to take me a few weeks to really do a good job. I have this way of holding on to things thinking somehow I have to keep them to perhaps tell some sort of story.

All it does is take up a lot of space and fool everyone into I have so much stuff. The way I see it, if I am not using it I might as well get rid of it. Yet for me it's much easier said than done.

Reaction score
It is actually a good feeling to get rid of old things. The kids and I went through their clothes and toys Friday night and filled up 2 bags for charity. I also filled half a bag of like new things that I am going to try to sell on Ebay before donating them. I will be on vacation from work next week, so I will have plenty to do during my time off.

Reaction score
The bulky trash pickup service came through the neighborhood, so I threw away my broken desk and an old bed frame, but I picked up someone's IKEA end table.
Does it count as downsizing if the item I picked up is smaller than the items I threw out?

Reaction score
The bulky trash pickup service came through the neighborhood, so I threw away my broken desk and an old bed frame, but I picked up someone's IKEA end table.
Does it count as downsizing if the item I picked up is smaller than the items I threw out?
Yes!!!! LOL! That is awesome that you found an IKEA item! :)

Reaction score
Yes!!!! LOL! That is awesome that you found an IKEA item! :)
I'm an IKEA fan too. I never see their items on the curb on trash day, so I was surprised. But those IKEA Lack end tables are pretty durable and you can screw the legs off to store them.

Reaction score
My daughter had one of those end tables and the thing is made very well. I think I spent less than $20 on it if I remember correctly. I don't go there as much as I used to because it is always crazy busy and I hate crowds.

Reaction score
I love getting rid of stuff. I hate that i have still have so much fabric and such that needs to be used. I feel so freed up when I get rid of things.

Reaction score
[QUOTE DancingLady, post: 18526, member: 991"]I love getting rid of stuff. I hate that i have still have so much fabric and such that needs to be used. I feel so freed up when I get rid of things.[/QUOTE]

You can sell fabric samples and remnants in lots on eBay. Quilters buy them.
I made some decent money by selling some leftover upholstery fabric from a decorating project on eBay.

Reaction score
Yes, people will buy your fabric scraps online. I make quilts and I am always on the lookout for some fabric scraps that I can't find around here. Ebay is the best for finding fabric because you can buy things from other regions or from different years that are not plagued all over the stores today.

Reaction score
Last night, I got rid of some "projects". As an artist and crafter, sometimes I buy or acquire things that I think I can paint or make into something else.
I had a whole box of picture frames that I never got around to painting, so I dropped them off at Goodwill. I had a couple of years to paint them and I didn't , so someone else will enjoy them now.
I am the same way it is amazing how many art projects you gather and have sitting around. One thing you can do is give yourself a date to contemplate a project, if you have not started or finished by that date think about getting rid of it or if you really want to get it done.

Ask a Question