Lighter-Colored Chocolate Chip Cookies

Reaction score
I'm looking for ways to make my Chocolate Chip cookies lighter colored. I don't want to use white chocolate chips, but I want the cookie to be lighter colored. And chewier. Would cutting out the white sugar and using only brown sugar do the trick?

Reaction score
I would think that brown sugar would make them darker. My first thought was to double-pan them and cook them at a lower temperature for a few minutes longer. Maybe ration out a little more batter per cookie so they are thicker. Cookies are crispier when they are thinner cooked at a high temp, so if you do the opposite you might get the results you seek! But double-panning should definitely help reduce the browning. There might be a better method but that's what came to mind at this hour!

Reaction score
I would think that brown sugar would make them darker. My first thought was to double-pan them and cook them at a lower temperature for a few minutes longer. Maybe ration out a little more batter per cookie so they are thicker. Cookies are crispier when they are thinner cooked at a high temp, so if you do the opposite you might get the results you seek! But double-panning should definitely help reduce the browning. There might be a better method but that's what came to mind at this hour!

Thank you, Ellesse.

Reaction score
I agree that using brown sugar would make them darker, so stick with refined white sugar.

The things that make cookies darker in colour are mainly butter and egg yolks, so you could perhaps try baking them with just egg whites and maybe a pale margerine instead of butter? You would lose richness and flavour though. If you want them chewy maybe try underbaking them too, and this would also keep them lighter in colour.

Reaction score
Yeah the brown sugar is definitely going to make them come out darker. Other than that though it probably just depends on how long you leave them in the oven, or maybe you could look into some food coloring and try to find some lighter colors there.

Reaction score
Undercooking them can work.
Using egg whites can work, instead of whole eggs.

Definitely use white sugar.
Although white sugar does brown some, if you want your cookies looking like flour bisquits, then maybe use artificial sweetener instead of sugar. But if you do this, it can change the consistency of the cookie.

If you want lighter colored "chips", then try carob chips. They are lighter in color than chocolate, and also taste a lot like milk chocolate.

Other "chips" you can use--

Peanutbutter
Butterscotch
Vanilla

Reaction score
Like the comments above, I also think that brown sugar with make your cookies darker even if only slight. And I guess you have no other choice but to add white chocolate to your mixture to dilute the brown color of your chocolate cookies. If you have seen the white chocolate cookies, I am using my imagination on what would happen if you make the mixture of black and white chocolate in a 50/50 volume. It will definitely be lighter in color.

Ask a Question