Lime......How I Love Thee.....Let Me Count The Recipes.....

Reaction score
I like lemon, but I very much prefer lime. Lemons are more sour and have a lot more citric acid in them than limes, so maybe thats it. I taste more of the fruit than the sour citric acid, as with lemons.

In any case, I live LIME!

Do you love lime too? Post some pictures of your favorite lime desserts or treats, or post some of your favorite lime recipes!!

key-lime-sl-1879937-x.jpg

Reaction score
Key Lime Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix
  • 1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored Jell-O(R) mix
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar

• Directions
    1. Combine cake mix, gelatin mix, oil, eggs and orange juice. Pour into three 8 inch cake pans. Bake according to instructions on box. Allow to cool, then frost.
    2. To make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add lime juice and confectioners sugar. Mix well.
    670700.jpg

Reaction score
Key Lime Cheesecake
(my favorite!!!)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
  • 2/3 cup key lime juice
Directions
  1. Combine cookie or graham cracker crumbs with butter or margarine. Press into bottom and partially up sides of 9 inch springform pan. Refrigerate.
  2. In a large bowl, beat with an electric mixer the cream cheese, sugar, lime peel, and cornstarch until smooth and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, blending just until smooth. Add key lime juice with mixer on low. Finish mixing by hand. Do not over beat, or cake will crack during baking. Pour batter into prepared crust.
  3. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 55 to 65 minutes, or until set. To minimize cracking, place a shallow pan half full of hot water on lower rack during baking.
  4. Turn oven off, and let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes with the door open at least 4 inches. Remove from oven. Refrigerate cake overnight, and up to three days.
Key%20Lime%20Cheesecake.jpg

Reaction score
Lime Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg, and egg yolk until smooth. Stir in lime juice and lime zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; blend into the creamed mixture. Form dough into 1/2 inch balls, and arrange on the prepared cookie sheet.
  3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Sift confectioners' sugar over cookies while still warm.

385499.jpg

Reaction score
Key Lime Pie

INGREDIENTS
  1. For crust
    • 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4-inch by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  2. For filling
    • 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    • 4 large egg yolks
    • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled Key lime juice (if using bottled, preferably Manhattan brand)
  3. For topping
    • 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream

PREPARATION
  1. Make crust:
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
    2. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch (4-cup) glass pie plate.
    3. Bake crust in middle of oven 10 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
  2. Make filling and bake pie:
    1. Whisk together condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add juice and whisk until combined well (mixture will thicken slightly).
    2. Pour filling into crust and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
  3. Make topping:
    1. Just before serving, beat cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Serve pie topped with cream.
Key-Lime-Pie.jpg

Reaction score
Lime Bundt Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1⁄2 cup lime juice { you can use lemon if you want }
  • 2 tablespoons lime zest
  • 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup lime yogurt
  • 1 Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Key Lime Frosting

Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F
  2. Grease and flour bunt pan.
  3. In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Slowly beat in sugar.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time.
  5. Add lime juice and zest; mix well.
  6. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
  7. Fold in dry ingredients into egg and butter mixture. Mix just until blended.
  8. Add in the yogurt last and mix again.
  9. Bake for 40 minutes or until done.
  10. Remove cake from pan and while warm top with Lime Frosting.

Notes
I like to soften the frosting in the microwave. Open it and warm up for 15 seconds before you top the cake.

Key-Lime-Pound-Cake-Barbara-Bakes.jpg

Reaction score
Martha Stewarts Lime Souffle

• Granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 4 egg whites, at room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 1-quart souffle dish with nonstick cooking spray and dust generously with granulated sugar. Place the souffle dish in the freezer to chill.

2. Stir 1/4 cup of the superfine sugar with the lime juice in a small bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside. Using very clean, dry beaters, beat the egg whites by hand or with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of superfine sugar and the salt while beating. Continue beating until the whites hold a soft peak. Gently fold in the lime juice mixture and the zest.

3. Spoon the souffle mixture into the chilled souffle dish. Wipe the rim with your fingers or a damp cloth to ensure proper rising. Put the dish on a baking sheet and place in the oven immediately. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, until the souffle is well risen and lightly browned on top. Serve and eat immediately.
a97120_hqcb_lime_souffle_hd.jpg

Reaction score
I was wrong. No homework about the difference between lime and lemons. Sadly I can only talk about my lemonade and lime in a lot of my cooking but I have never made any cakes with lime. It would be great though as we are all lime lovers.

Reaction score
You know, the only thing I've ever made with lime is key lime pie - I'd never thought to branch out and use that flavour in other things. Which is kind of silly, as I love other citrus flavoured desserts (especially lemons, I adore lemon in desserts for that lovely zing and tartness!) so this is definitely making me think about expanding my search when it comes to lime in recipes!

Reaction score
Lime Mousse

INGREDIENTS
    • 1/2 tablespoon grated Key lime zest
    • 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • Pinch of salt
    • 3 large eggs
    • 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into bits
    • 2/3 cup chilled heavy cream

PREPARATION
    1. Whisk together zest, juice, sugar, salt, and eggs in a small heavy saucepan. Add butter and cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until thick enough to hold marks of whisk, about 5 minutes. Force through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then quick-chill in an ice bath, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
    2. Beat cream until it holds stiff peaks, then fold into custard gently but thoroughly. Spoon into glasses and chill at least 2 hours and up to 12.

IMG_0592.jpg

Reaction score
Key Lime Donuts

Ingredients
Donuts
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon key lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon lime zest
Glaze
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • ¼ cup key lime juice
  • crushed graham crackers

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a donut pan.
  2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg, then mix in the yogurt, oil, milk, key lime juice and lime zest. Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, just until moistened.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a large ziptop bag. Cut off the corner and use the bag to pipe the mixture into the donut pan, filling each donut about half full. Bake until the donut springs back when lightly touched, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
  4. To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar and key lime juice. Dip the tops of the cooled donuts into the glaze, then dip into the graham cracker crumbs.
Baked-Key-Lime-Pie-Donuts-recipe-taste-and-tell-2.jpg

Reaction score
Lime Blossom Semolina Strudel with Mandarin Sauce
(found this one on a European site, so the measurements are Euro)

Filling
6 dl milk
3 handfuls of lime blossom dried
30 g butter
2 pinches of salt
100 g semolina
2 eggs
40 g sugar
1 lemon zest
50 g sultanas light

Strudel
120 g strudel pastry
40 g butter liquid

Mandarin sauce
3 dl mandarin juice
1½ tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp sugar

For the filling, boil the milk and the lime blossom, leave to infuse for 10 minutes and then strain. Add the butter and salt, bring to the boil again, stir in the semolina and cook for about 5 minutes while stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks along with the rest of the ingredients to the lukewarm semolina. Beat the egg whites until very stiff and then fold into the cooled semolina mixture.

Unfold the strudel pastry. Brush each sheet of pastry with butter and then lay them on top of each other. Spread over the filling and roll the strudel up. Place the strudel on the lined baking tray, tuck the ends underneath and brush with butter. Bake. After baking, brush again with the rest of the butter.

For the sauce, mix the mandarin juice, cornflour and sugar in a pan and bring almost to the boil, stirring constantly. Chill the sauce and serve with the warm strudel.

Hot air + steaming 220°C for 20 Mins

recipe-img-slide.jpg

Reaction score
Key Lime Cupcakes with Key Lime Curd

Ingredients
Key Lime Cupcakes:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs
2 tablespoons key lime zest
1/2 cup milk
Key Lime Cream Cheese Frosting:
5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
8 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons key lime zest
2 tablespoons key lime juice

Key Lime Curd:

3 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon key lime zest
4 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
2 cups pop rock candy

Directions
For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line cupcake or muffin pans with 24 cupcake liners.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside in a bowl.

In the bowl of electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and granulated sugar together for about 2 minutes. Then scrape down the bowl and add the eggs one at a time. After adding all the eggs, scrape down bowl and add the milk and dry ingredients. Mix on low until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl again and hike up from low speed to medium speed for about 20 seconds, and then scrape down the bowl for the last time.

Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, rotating the cupcakes after 12 minutes, and bake until the cupcakes are baked through. Cool the cupcakes completely.

For the frosting: Sift the powdered sugar and set aside in a bowl.

In the bowl of electric stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and cream cheese on low speed. Scrape down the bowl and add the sifted powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Slowly add the key lime juice and zest until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl and mix on low speed. Then hike up to medium to high speed for about 2 minutes until creamy and fluffy.

For the curd: Whisk the eggs, sugar and key lime juice in a steel bowl and set aside while you prepare a double boiler.

Put a small pot half full with water on the stove over medium to high heat. Place the steel bowl with the whisked eggs on top of the pot and mix with a spatula until your mixture has become creamy like sour cream, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the mixture and strain, getting rid of excess egg particles. Grab a second steel bowl and dump your egg mixture inside, adding your zest and cold butter. Mix until well incorporated and place in the fridge until it slightly thickens, 10 to 15 minutes (or until desired consistency is achieved).

Hollow out the middle of the cooled cupcakes with an apple corer or melon ball scooper and set aside. Fill the cupcakes with the curd. Put the frosting into a pastry bag and cut 1/2-inch off the tip. Swirl on the frosting, and then edge the sides in pop rock candies.

Lime_by_bittykate.jpg

Reaction score
These are so delightful to look at and I can't say I've ever had any of them. The other day I wanted to try a new recipe and when I realised it called for lemons I decided to abandon the project. Seeing this thread has me thinking I need to try something especially since I have two lime trees.

Ask a Question