Loaf issue

Reaction score
Hi
I've been making (& eating!), a loaf of bread thrice weekly over the last 3-4 months. I usual make a variation on the same loaf, but not always. I usually make a seeded wholemeal no knead loaf, using a mix of strong white flour, Strong wholemeal flour, rolled oats, and a combination of seeds, varying each time, using 2 of poppy seeds/sesame seeds/pumpkin seeds & sunflour seeds each time.

The bread is always lovely, but I have a problem with the loaf splitting on one side, it looks like to allow steam out (baking in a loaf tin). This means that the slices fall apart when you go to cut it. I have tried it with both a 2 pound and a 3 pound tin, but it doesnt seem to matter. I have tried slashing the top of the loaf, to create an easy place for the steam to exit, but still it splits along one of the long sides! The whole purpose of baking in a tin, is to make it easy for making lunch time sandwiches, and for toasting it in a toaster, on occasions. I may need to try to bake as a round loaf, but this would be less cost efficient for me.

Any ideas??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi
I've been making (& eating!), a loaf of bread thrice weekly over the last 3-4 months. I usual make a variation on the same loaf, but not always. I usually make a seeded wholemeal no knead loaf, using a mix of strong white flour, Strong wholemeal flour, rolled oats, and a combination of seeds, varying each time, using 2 of poppy seeds/sesame seeds/pumpkin seeds & sunflour seeds each time.

The bread is always lovely, but I have a problem with the loaf splitting on one side, it looks like to allow steam out (baking in a loaf tin). This means that the slices fall apart when you go to cut it. I have tried it with both a 2 pound and a 3 pound tin, but it doesnt seem to matter. I have tried slashing the top of the loaf, to create an easy place for the steam to exit, but still it splits along one of the long sides! The whole purpose of baking in a tin, is to make it easy for making lunch time sandwiches, and for toasting it in a toaster, on occasions. I may need to try to bake as a round loaf, but this would be less cost efficient for me.

Any ideas??

The problem is there is a seam in the dough close to the edge of the bread.

Here is your solution.

In the middle of proofing, fold the dough into the center 3-5 times in large dough-y folds like this:

When you are done, the fold seams will be at the TOP of the loaf

When you bake it, flip the bowl upside down on the pan placing the fold seams at the BOTTOM of the loaf.

Score the top of the bread with a razor or sharp knife perpendicular / 90 degrees to the direction you plan to cut it.

Reaction score
Loaf splitting on the side can because to by several problems

• Overmixing weakening gluten structure. Loaf tears as it rises.

• Underproofing low dough volume at onset of baking causes too rapid a rise in oven.

• Oven temperature too high causing premature crust formation. The loaf continues to rise, but the crust has formed, so it tears open

• No moisture in the oven chamber causing premature crust formation. Crust forms too soon and tears as the loaf continues to rise.

Reaction score
Thanks, will have a go next time!!
Loaf splitting on the side can because to by several problems

• Overmixing weakening gluten structure. Loaf tears as it rises.

• Underproofing low dough volume at onset of baking causes too rapid a rise in oven.

• Oven temperature too high causing premature crust formation. The loaf continues to rise, but the crust has formed, so it tears open

• No moisture in the oven chamber causing premature crust formation. Crust forms too soon and tears as the loaf continues to rise.
Those are really good idead/thoughts - I may be guilty of more than one of them!! Will try better next time!!

Reaction score
Well I had a go at a couple of suggestions:-
1I did the dough folding suggested &
2I placed a dish of water in the bottom of the oven, and left the temperature just a wee bit lower.

The result was very good. Making another loaf tomorrow, will do again and see if it was not just a coincidence!!

Reaction score
Well I had a go at a couple of suggestions:-
1I did the dough folding suggested &
2I placed a dish of water in the bottom of the oven, and left the temperature just a wee bit lower.

The result was very good. Making another loaf tomorrow, will do again and see if it was not just a coincidence!!

glad to hear you are have some success

Reaction score
Well, I have made 4 or 5 loaves since then, and , with the changes I implemented it has gone very well, that is the dough folding on a couple of occasions during the rise time (15-24 hours), a slight decrease in temp for my fan assisted oven, and making sure there was a dish of water in the oven, to keep the crust from hardening too soon. Success. Until yesterday, when I forgot to put the water in! Guesss what, the loaf split, not as bad as before (? because of the folding etc), but definitely not as good as it has been. So as they say, the proof is in the (pudding) baking!!

Reaction score
Well, I have made 4 or 5 loaves since then, and , with the changes I implemented it has gone very well, that is the dough folding on a couple of occasions during the rise time (15-24 hours), a slight decrease in temp for my fan assisted oven, and making sure there was a dish of water in the oven, to keep the crust from hardening too soon. Success. Until yesterday, when I forgot to put the water in! Guesss what, the loaf split, not as bad as before (? because of the folding etc), but definitely not as good as it has been. So as they say, the proof is in the (pudding) baking!!

glad you found your causes. It’s frequently trial and error that brings us to our solutions.

Ask a Question