Long or short nails?

Reaction score
Hey ladies! This year I could finally stop biting my nails, now they are so long and beautiful! But overall all the things they are strong. That is something I thought that would never happen, because back when I used to bit them they were so weak. I thought something was wrong with me, I kept biting my nails off because I was annoyed at the fact they were so weak. But now it's amazing to see that's in the past :)

Now I keep looking for mani ideas on Pinterest on my free time or when the mood strikes ;) I love the way long nails look on me, they have really changed the way I feel about myself and how I look. I feel super feminine, it might sound slily, but I also feel more confident.

Here are some cool ideas I've found online:

602dc83887375cec61c36f4917c632a7.jpg

8223dd91ca1324975c9d27966f8a6a86.jpg

b06fa902fae2d26f28ef981ee81491e5.jpg

51a9850714e8d14bc3efdcca6821f1fb.jpg

2a64457c92695cd38007e689a01474e7.jpg

f04d8b0f0c5c640b92de85c591e15acc.jpg

c0fd427512f2b9f000f1ad3afc45e5a0.jpg

Reaction score
Long nails look good but they can be impracticle. If you look around there are some nail art ideas that look just a god on shorter nails.

Reaction score
Those are some gorgeous nail ideas. I finally quit biting my nails a couple of years ago and now they are thick and beautiful. I like to keep then a little less than half an inch linger than my fingers or they start to get in the way when I am cooking or typing.

Reaction score
My nails are bit longer than that, but I have no issues typing :) I use the tips of my fingers ;) No decrease in speed or anything like that. I must admit at first I was a bit worried about typing, but it's all about getting used to long nails. I don't want mine to be too long too.

Reaction score
Long nails look good but they can be impracticle. If you look around there are some nail art ideas that look just a god on shorter nails.

Really long nails can do that, but the ones in the picture are of a prefect length: not too long not too short. In my opinion really long nails look creepy, specially the ''Stiletto'' ones, they look just creepy! I'd never try that style, mine are oval shaped :) Not too long.

Reaction score
I'm definitely a short nails person. I don't do make up or nails and tbh what with cooking/baking and my other hobbies, I don't have time for long nails, nor would I know what to do with them. So the shorter the better from my point of view.

Reaction score
I get you Connie, all my life i had short nails :) The long nails are kinda time consuming, the longer the more time they consume with their care. I don't want mine to be too long, otherwise they become so unpractical. I must admit I'm now addicted to painting my nails, but it's good because now I pay more attention to the way they look without the polish. Sometimes you can easily detect health issues by looking at your nails.

Reaction score
I agree that while long nails can look really glamorous and pretty, that they're not always practical. I keep mine short these days because just doing the amount of housework and child care that I do, long nails would get in the way. When I was younger I loved to get manicures with fancy designs and stuff like that -- I do feel like they really can make you feel more confident and put together! I don't really even paint my short nails any more because it just chips off too fast. Occasionally I will get those nail decals you can buy that look like a professional manicure with cute patterns, but again they just don't last all that long!

Reaction score
Yeah, to be honest the really long nails really irk me.... make me feel kinda anxious just looking at them on some girls, it looks like they are going to snap anytime soon. Yikes!!!! I plan to keep mine long enough, but not too long... By the way, I hate that when the nail polish chips off. Soooooooooooo annoying!!!

Reaction score
I don't bite my nails and never have, but imagine it can be a tough habit to break. Good job for breaking your habit! Now you get to enjoy the benefits of longer nails like manicures! I love going in for a manicure so much- it's relaxing to me. I keep my nails shorter because of typing, as I end up with less mistakes when I have shorter nails.

Reaction score
Thanks :) My mom has the same nail biting habit, but she hasn't been able to break it off :O You are right, it is a hard habit to break... I often bite my nails in the past when I was feeling anxious, now I have learnt to deal with my anxiety in a different way: I just suck it up! Lol. That sounds wonderful, I have noticed typing is a little harder with longer nails, that is the only downside I've found so far ;)

Reaction score
I do not have the habit if biting my nails. And yes it is true that long nails with beautiful art designs are really attractive for a woman. But all my life I always had short nails for reason that they are weak and one thing my hands are always busy at home cleaning and cooking. That is why no need for that. I just always clean and polish my short nails with natural color and for me it is just okay as long it is clean and simple.

Reaction score
I had the same roblem of weak nails, mine was caused by my nail eating habit. You should get your thyroid checked, just a suggestion. I have noticed those with thyroid issues tend to have weak nails. Actually there are many things that could be causing that. You can try white iodine to make them stronger :) I've heard it does wonders for nails.

Reaction score
I try to keep them as long as possible but my nails, though naturally hard, seem to be more porous than most people's and prone to damage. My gloves at work pretty much always leak because they are cheap, so I get Clorox soft scrub on them which weakens them badly and makes them prone to peeling. I can't use nail polish because the remover had the same effect on my nails, totally destroyed them so it took 4 months to maintain a comfortable length after that.

Reaction score
Oh no! I think mine are bit porous too, they're very hard but I notice they get dry so easily. Did you try the acetone nail polish remover or the acetone-free one? Did both of them have the same effect? To be honest using the nail polish remover does make me nervous too. I stopped using the acetone ones... the acetone one dries my nails so bad! I broke my nail thanks to that. I now use something I got form the Hema, it's an acetone free remover that has some oil... pads. I have a liquid one as well, no acetone, but that one dries out my nails too. Have you tried the pads one?

Ask a Question