Looking for a cookie (recipe)

Reaction score
One of my neighbors used to make an unusual cookie, which she called "stained glass cookies" at Christmastime. I begged her for the recipe with no success, and now she's passed on, so I don't have much chance there. So I'm posting the description, hoping that someone out there has an idea how to make these.

The bulk of the cookie was glaceed fruit, with a few nuts thrown in. The "dough" - more of a matrix than a dough - was thin, sweet, and somewhat translucent. They were crunchy at first bite, then chewy as you got into the fruit. They were nothing like the recipes I've seen for so-called "stained-glass cookies".

My initial impression was that they were held together with eggwhites - sort of a thin meringue - but I had no luck when I tried that; mainly a mess to scrape off the baking sheet.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks... Pete

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

They sound a bit like either Florentines or Lace Cookies - have a Google for both and let me know if either of them look right.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

They sound a bit like either Florentines or Lace Cookies - have a Google for both and let me know if either of them look right.
Thank you. I agree that there's a similarity, but both Flories and Lace Cookies have a strong caramelized-sugar taste, which the ones I'm seeking didn't.

Thanks especially for suggesting I Google the recipe. I found a Florentines recipe on Tastecooking.com and it looks great. I'll be making those the next chance I get.

Reaction score
Thank you. I agree that there's a similarity, but both Flories and Lace Cookies have a strong caramelized-sugar taste, which the ones I'm seeking didn't.

Hmmm well if it's not either of those I wonder what it could be! I'll have a flick through my recipe books later and see if I can find anything that looks similar to what you describe.

Reaction score
If you do a search for "stained glass cookies" there are several good ones.

Reaction score
If you do a search for "stained glass cookies" there are several good ones.
Thanks !! That's not the product I'm trying to duplicate, but there are upwards of 200,000 "hits" on that search, so that looks like a good starting point. So far, the "stained glass" recipes I've seen involve filling in the cookies with hard candies, which melts in the baking, producing the "stained glass" effect. Clearly (as they say in academia) "more research is needed".

Thanks again... Pete

Reaction score
Thanks !! That's not the product I'm trying to duplicate, but there are upwards of 200,000 "hits" on that search, so that looks like a good starting point. So far, the "stained glass" recipes I've seen involve filling in the cookies with hard candies, which melts in the baking, producing the "stained glass" effect. Clearly (as they say in academia) "more research is needed".

Thanks again... Pete

From what I saw all of them use crushed hard candy... like this one... https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/stained-glass-cookies/

Ask a Question