Looking for a frosting recipe

Reaction score
A few years ago, I got a cake from a bakery that was a fudge cake, with pipes of chocolate on top. Inside the pipes was a white frosting, very thick, just short of the consistency of cream cheese. I asked what that frosting was, and was told it was opera cream. The bakery doesn't have that cake any more, and I've tried to duplicate the frosting, with no success.

The only recipe I found online for opera cream frosting (independent of opera cake) was from cooks.com. Just the ingredients and minimal instructions. And it turned out terrible both times I tried: way too grainy and liquid. Also, the bakery worker might not have been accurate when they said "opera cream"!

So what's the thickest, creamiest, most fortified frosting you know of?

Reaction score
A few years ago, I got a cake from a bakery that was a fudge cake, with pipes of chocolate on top. Inside the pipes was a white frosting, very thick, just short of the consistency of cream cheese. I asked what that frosting was, and was told it was opera cream. The bakery doesn't have that cake any more, and I've tried to duplicate the frosting, with no success.

The only recipe I found online for opera cream frosting (independent of opera cake) was from cooks.com. Just the ingredients and minimal instructions. And it turned out terrible both times I tried: way too grainy and liquid. Also, the bakery worker might not have been accurate when they said "opera cream"!

So what's the thickest, creamiest, most fortified frosting you know of?

Probably cream cheese with powder sugar and lemon juice or vanilla whatever.
I never made it and wouldn't want to work with it, it wouldn't be easy to pass it through a pastry bag unless softened with some milk or what ever they use. Sounds like a bad idea.

Reaction score
I already use a cream cheese frosting recipe like that. Anyway, I wasn't planning on putting it in a pastry bag. Thanks for getting back, though.

Reaction score
Try this recipe. Pretty easy to make. You do need a candy thermometer. It takes a few minutes to boil to that soft-boil temp but make sure it boils to the 238F. You could also add some mint extract to the chocolate or try experimenting with other chocolates. I use a 2 quart pot and it bubbles to the top but does not go over. For the pan. I just use an aluminum foil throw away pan. Its just used to hold the mixture and not to bake in and most of my baking pans are 9x9 and does not work for this.

The mixer does the pulling process so after 1 minute on low (number 1 setting) move the setting to number 6 for about 5 minutes and then move it to number 5 for the last minute and when adding the vanilla and salt.
Should be soft dough like play dough.
You probably could not use a pastry bag but you could roll it to the log shape and cut to size.

This recipe was found on the web a while ago but unable to relocate today but probable still somewhere on the internet.

Make it all the time during Valentines day and special occasions. easy to make and comes out nice everytime. The chocolate, (only a few times) let drip on a rack to cover all the dough on sides for a cake but its rare that I do so. Never used or try to make in chocolate pipes.I just make the squares and pour chocolate over.

Opera Creams

Ingredients

2 cups granulated sugar (400 grams)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup (22 grams)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate

Instructions
1.Line an 8x8-inch pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
2.In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, heavy cream, and corn syrup and bring to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 238 degrees F (soft boil) using a candy thermometer.
3.Quickly transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on low for 1 minute, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 6 more minutes or until mixture thickens. Then mix in the vanilla and salt.
4.Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, spreading evenly, and refrigerate for 30 minutes until set.
5.Chop up the chocolate and melt it. (Either use a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 30-second intervals, stirring between each one until chocolate is smooth or use a double boiler hot water method).
6.Spread the melted chocolate over the top of the set candy, place back in the fridge until chocolate hardens, about another 30 minutes.
7.Remove from fridge and slice into squares.

Reaction score
Also, try adding 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract to the bittersweet chocolate after it has melted. Gives much better flavor. Also, keep in mind you have to work quickly after removing from stove to mixer. Sets up fast as it cools. I spray a little baking spray (very lightly) to help remove the opera cream 8x8 slab later on to cut them out of the pan. use a cutting board to cut about 25 pieces. hopefully it goes well.

Reaction score
One of my worst pet peeves is too much frosting. Like on wedding cakes, birthday cakes & so on. If anything, I just drizzle the cakes with a little icing or nothing at all!!:mad:

Reaction score
One of my worst pet peeves is too much frosting. Like on wedding cakes, birthday cakes & so on. If anything, I just drizzle the cakes with a little icing or nothing at all!!:mad:

I hear you @Linus. I will not make shortening powdered sugar icing or butter and powdered sugar icing. If I used these icings it would be so sweet, everyone would scrape the icing off and just leave it on the plate.

My family and friends like a decorated cake. So my go to icings are mascarpone chantilly whipped cream (stabilized with gelatin sheets) and meringue buttercreams. The meringues are sweet. I strike a balance. I always use a piping bag and nozzle to control the filling and icing applied to the cake. Plus I prefer a uniform application
Too often cakes are overfilled and iced

I think portion is key. When I make a cake for others I give them a cake serving chart. Most people do not know how to slice a cake for events. They are always surprised to learn that an 8” cake will serve 14 (or more).

that fad of the drip cake with a ton of candy piled on it—I just don’t get it.

Ask a Question