Looking for a name of a cookie

Reaction score
When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, there were a lot of Polish and Czech bakeries around my house. At one, I used to buy these cookies. They sort of looked like madeleines, with the ribs. I've never had a madeleine though, These had chocolate on the end but firm, not sticky on your fingers and then chocolate sprinkles on the chocolate (sometimes). It wasn't a soft cookie but a crunchier one, more like a sugar cookie. I doubt they were madeleines, since that doesn't sound very eastern European. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, there were a lot of Polish and Czech bakeries around my house. At one, I used to buy these cookies. They sort of looked like madeleines, with the ribs. I've never had a madeleine though, These had chocolate on the end but firm, not sticky on your fingers and then chocolate sprinkles on the chocolate (sometimes). It wasn't a soft cookie but a crunchier one, more like a sugar cookie. I doubt they were madeleines, since that doesn't sound very eastern European. Any ideas? Thanks.

They were madeleines, albeit not made in the traditional way. The Czech Republic is actually Central Europe, with close proximity and trade, culinary traditions long ago crossed cultural borders. The chocolate dipped madeleines were in my local American bakery as well. All those cookies in the deli case were dry and stale beyond edible. :eek: Lol but people still bought them.

Reaction score
So can I just use a madeleines recipe? Or is it different? And what kind of chocolate is it? Frosting or ganache or something? Thanks

Reaction score
So can I just use a madeleines recipe? Or is it different? And what kind of chocolate is it? Frosting or ganache or something? Thanks

Yes, any madeleines recipe will work.

Frostings and ganache do not harden so they are not suitable for dipping cookies. You’ll need to either temper chocolate or use candy coating.

A lot of neighborhood bakeries from the 60’s used candy coatings because they are cheap. But I will warn you they do not taste very good.

Candy coatings, aka candy melts can be purchased at most a big box craft stores (JoAnns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby), and Walmart. The brands sold in stores are of the poorest quality, perform the worst, and taste the worst.

The better brands are sold online: Merckens and Guittard A’Peels. These brands are a much better quality, perform better, and taste better. And of course they cost more.

If you decide to go with real chocolate I would recommend Guittard semi sweet chocolate as it’s a high quality chocolate used by a lot of pastry chefs and it’s very easy to temper. It’s available at most Targets.

A141FFAA-7472-42C3-A0C2-2EDEEA0D8EE3.jpeg

Ask a Question